fuel filter change @ dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife's dmax needs a fuel filter; $40 for an OEM filter, 36mm socket, you get to smell like diesel for an hour and you are good to go :)

but...
recuperating from surgery; so limited to 20lbs

Called the dealer to see if they could do it, $280 and out 10 days.
Are folks really paying $280 for a fuel filter change?

I'm going to use this opportunity to teach my daughter a bit of vehicle maintenance :)

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife's dmax needs a fuel filter; $40 for an OEM filter, 36mm socket, you get to smell like diesel for an hour and you are good to go :)

but...
recuperating from surgery; so limited to 20lbs

Called the dealer to see if they could do it, $280 and out 10 days.
Are folks really paying $280 for a fuel filter change?

I'm going to use this opportunity to teach my daughter a bit of vehicle maintenance :)
That's bananas.......but, you have to understand the overwhelming majority if people nowadays who are mechanically ignorant and afraid. I'll change fuel filters all day, everyday for $280 a pop!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, many/most owners do not have the experience or willingness to do their own wrenching, and the dealers take advantage of that with their pricing.

Those of us who do a bit of wrenching can help our children save thousands of dollars over their lifetimes, if they are willing to learn some wrenching from us. My two sons have already saved a lot on money by doing their own wrenching that I taught them. I'm sure that many of the folks in this great Forum have done the same with their children.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's bananas.......but, you have to understand the overwhelming majority if people nowadays who are mechanically ignorant and afraid. I'll change fuel filters all day, everyday for $280 a pop!
Shop rates have been going up and up. With the decline in folks wanting to work on cars so they are having to pay more to get the good ones to stay.

I’ve seen anywhere from $85/hr near me to over $200/hr in other parts of the country.

OP
OP
S

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The goofy part (at the same dealer), $280 for a fuel filter change, $70 for an oil change in the baby dmax.

I really don't get it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Shop rates have been going up and up. With the decline in folks wanting to work on cars so they are having to pay more to get the good ones to stay.

I’ve seen anywhere from $85/hr near me to over $200/hr in other parts of the country.
I charge $75 an hour to work on vehicles at my home. The going rates around here are $140 to $180 an hour. If the rates in Eastern Iowa are at $85 an hour, or more, I feel my rates are very fair. The techs there must not make as much as around here but the cost of living has to be less.

My girl is in northern Texas right now and regular gas is $3.15 a gallon and is $4.45 here.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty easy process. One thing you can do to control the flow of the diesel coming out is to first remove the water drain plug and then slowly loosen the canister. The diesel will come out the bottom hole instead of out over the top of the threads and you make less of a mess.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, this world is a painful place if you don’t know how to do anything yourself. And you’d be surprised how many people really don’t know which end of the wrench to use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapdapdap