fuel pump went out / gas gauge stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

l306x

Reaction score
03 yukon denali ---So my fuel pump did the other day blew the pcm b fuse. so i ordered a new oem fuel pump module put it in and the truck runs great but the gas gauge is now not working. I start it and it will go to 1/4 for 15 sec then it drops to E and the light low fuel light is on. It will do this every time i start it. I checked the ohms at the pump module 136.6 ok ohms at the pcm 154.5 ok put my extra pcm in it same thing I put a new stepper motor in the gas gauge and it still is doing the same thing .....any ideas? it is just odd that it started the same time as the fuel pump blew

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

l306x

Reaction score
the new module has the sending unit in it. I put the old sending unit on and it is doing the same thing. ohms read good on both sending units (136) and 154 at the pcm. all within the range

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe its just a fluke, and the stepper motor in the dash went out.. also a common problem

He did say he just replaced the stepper motor but it didn't solve his problem, so sounds like something else!! I'd be unfortunately dropping the tank again and at least checking the electrical connection to make sure it's clean and solid. If that's good, take the sending unit and pump out of the tank again, hook up the electrical to it and move the sending unit arm by hand and see what that does to the gauge!

Also, did you go with a new OEM or an aftermarket pump/sending unit as your replacement?

PUGLIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a problem with my gauge on vacation. Dropped down then back up. Thought it was a problem with the sending unit but it fixed itself. A friend told me that our hoes have issues with the gauges. Said that he's seen it multiple times with the trucks. Might want to look into that.

OP
OP
L

l306x

Reaction score
it is a oem module. I put the old sending unit in it did the same thing. the ohms at the the pcm are good so the circuit is good. new stepper motor. only thing i can think is that a circuit in the gauge cluster is bad

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is a oem module. I put the old sending unit in it did the same thing. the ohms at the the pcm are good so the circuit is good. new stepper motor. only thing i can think is that a circuit in the gauge cluster is bad

Just cause the stepper motor has been replaced recently doesn't mean it isn't out again, or something could not have gone wrong with the install. Now, maybe it is less likely to be bad again, but don't rebuild the entire truck around that stepper motor being good because its new.
I wonder is there a way to check the signal from the PCM to the gauge cluster?

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

l306x

Reaction score
I took the stepper off the tach and put it on the fuel gauge. tach is now working fine but the fuel is doing the same thing. I had a tech from just answers help me with the testing he told me the only way to test the pcm to cluster is with a Tech 2. it is a serial data signal. If i have 2,000 i would buy a used tech 2 :) anyway I will pull the cluster out of a truck at work and see it that one works

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
humbertoltx