Gas Accumulating on Bottom of Tank - '99 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cqlink

Reaction score
After letting my truck sit on an incline with less than a 1/4 tank of fuel a few weeks back, I couldn't get her to start. I managed to level the truck off and/ or get the fuel pump to kick on and the truck started back up and has started fine ever since.

Since I live in the hilly area just outside of Wash DC, I don't want to leave the tank less than half full so yesterday, I topped her off and shortly afterward, I began to smell gas in the area of the left side rear passenger door. I didn't see anything yesterday when I topped her off but today there's enough gas on the bottom side of the tank to worry me.

I didn't smell anything prior to topping off the tank but I know there's no "overflow" feature on cars and trucks that will let excess fuel drain out.

As alluded to, when I first couldn't get the truck to start, I thought I may have a bad fuel pump. It's hard to see up on the side of the tank to see where a possible leak may be coming from but I'm going to try and jack her up in the apartment lot and take a look.

Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

OK...Got out there and, of course, I can't see any signs of a leak. I checked the rail on the left (drivers) side of the tank and there appears to be no sign of leaks from the lines that run down from the top of the tank, along the rail to the engine.

I wiped the tank of and drove it a few miles under some pressure to see if I could see signs of the leak but nothing showed up.

At this point I'm wondering if the first problem (no fuel to engine a few weeks ago) is related. I'm not sure if small drips/ leak from the top of the tank where the fuel pump is could or would make it down to the bottom of the tank. The sides seemed dry when I first checked it this morning.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Back to square one. Truck won't start. Pump is probably shot. I'm still smelling gas, however. No drips or accumulation at bottom of tank. I'm not sure how the pump is sealed at the top of the tank. Could this be part pf problem?

longstand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After letting my truck sit on an incline with less than a 1/4 tank of fuel a few weeks back, I couldn't get her to start. I managed to level the truck off and/ or get the fuel pump to kick on and the truck started back up and has started fine ever since.

Since I live in the hilly area just outside of Wash DC, I don't want to leave the tank less than half full so yesterday, I topped her off and shortly afterward, I began to smell gas in the area of the left side rear passenger door. I didn't see anything yesterday when I topped her off but today there's enough gas on the bottom side of the tank to worry me.

I didn't smell anything prior to topping off the tank but I know there's no "overflow" feature on cars and trucks that will let excess fuel drain out.

As alluded to, when I first couldn't get the truck to start, I thought I may have a bad fuel pump. It's hard to see up on the side of the tank to see where a possible leak may be coming from but I'm going to try and jack her up in the apartment lot and take a look.

Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

OK...Got out there and, of course, I can't see any signs of a leak. I checked the rail on the left (drivers) side of the tank and there appears to be no sign of leaks from the lines that run down from the top of the tank, along the rail to the engine.

I wiped the tank of and drove it a few miles under some pressure to see if I could see signs of the leak but nothing showed up.

At this point I'm wondering if the first problem (no fuel to engine a few weeks ago) is related. I'm not sure if small drips/ leak from the top of the tank where the fuel pump is could or would make it down to the bottom of the tank. The sides seemed dry when I first checked it this morning.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Back to square one. Truck won't start. Pump is probably shot. I'm still smelling gas, however. No drips or accumulation at bottom of tank. I'm not sure how the pump is sealed at the top of the tank. Could this be part pf problem?

I had similar problem and i also leave on a HILL side.. the car starts ok when flat surface. but will not start on a HILL. i have to start it using starting fluid..

i remove the ol fuel pump and i notice that the seal was not there it was inside the gas tank.. and whn i fell up the gas. it overflow all over the ground..

i remove the fuel tank and replace the Fuel pump..

Its easy to replace the fuel pump . installation of the fuel tank and all the wiring is the hardest..

you and i have the same fuel pump i belive..

go to ebay.. there cheap. it cost me $70 for the whole pump and housing. check it out

OP
OP
C

cqlink

Reaction score
I agree, it looks pretty easy to replace. Problem is I live in an apartment and they don't allow a repair like this one in the lot. Another issue is most of my tools are at my home in Metro Detroit. I'm going to have to find a shop (if anyone knows of a good shop near Falls Church VA/ Wash DC area - let me know).

In the meantime - I'm not familiar with these engines. Can anyone post up a pic or tell me how to get to the throttle body so I can try to start it and get her to the shop?

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Also...I'm not tossing a full tank of 93 Shell octane. How do you guys save your fuel on jobs like these?

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
save your self the grief and make sure they use a delphi pump. the cheap ones don't last very long. when i replaced mine, the gas went in new 5 gal. buckets w/ lids, then back in the tank.

OP
OP
C

cqlink

Reaction score
Thanks....I have a new Walbro that I bought before I made the move here "just in case." Looks like I'm buying some containers!!!

OP
OP
C

cqlink

Reaction score
Stumbled across this and thought I'd update. Fuel pump was fine. Retainer ring (top of pump to tank) was rusted bad and effected pressure. I ended up paying a local shop around $280 to buy the new ring, drop the tank and install the Walbro pump (same specs as the AC Delco but a bit cheaper). Runs great. The guy also saved nearly a full tank of gas by emptying it into containers he had on hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968