gas gauge is reading backwards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukonxlslt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok so to start this im going to start from the beginning.
00 yukon xl. went to local gm dealer to check for recalls on the truck. theres one and its the fuel pump module harness, the one in the tank. so i take the truck in sunday night, they get it in tuesday morning which pissed me off cause it was scheduled for 7-8 am monday morning. anyway they call me and said we cant complete the recall order due to having a non OEM pump, tried selling me an OEM for 502$. GET THE HELL OUT. i would never pay that price. so i start browsing for a pump that would work and no luck. so bit the bullet and bought an acdelco pump from advance auto for 280. take it in to dealer thursday night and friday at 6pm he calls me and says trucks done. BUTTT... your fuel gauge is pinned on FULL. so he gauge swept it and it works. NO SHIT I COULDVE TOLD YOU IT WORKED IT WORKED BEFORE YOU TOUCHED IT. well they drop the tank and check everything out to make sure they did it right and they say they did do it right.(still have no faith in them after they told me tuesday i had no reverse. it works perfectly fine. then friday they tell me i have smoke emitting from my steering column which i have yet to see or smell!) so i get it home put 20 bucks of gas in and it says i have 3/4 tank. get up to the mall hit the gas station again and i fill it up. now the gauge says EMPTY. wtf is going on. the old pump wich worked fine my needle would fluctuate, figured just a bad float being its an airtex fuel pump. so my question is now what do you think could have caused this. i planned on dropping the tank but wanted to fill with gas and see if the needle had reset itself. i have to change the fuel filter still as im not getting all the power out of the truck. and no i dont want to leave it like that

Mechahead

Reaction score
I had mine do that after it was replaced. The little tabs that hold the float arm onto the lever had snapped. It all held together so it looked fine but the float had no influence on the gauge.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Go back and beat them with your shoe. I would never take anything to the dealer.. scam artists. Did the new pump have a new harness pigtail? If so I would check to see if it was put in properly.

OP
OP
Y

yukonxlslt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Go back and beat them with your shoe. I would never take anything to the dealer.. scam artists. Did the new pump have a new harness pigtail? If so I would check to see if it was put in properly.

believe me when i say I HATE THE DEALER. i do all my own repairs and if i am unable to do it i go to a local shop where i know the owners and they get it done quick and cheap for me. yes the new acdelco pump came with a new pigtail. they were supposed to put my working airtex pump and everything old and new minus the recall harness back in the fp box and put in the back of the truck which they failed to do so. now monday i have to go pick it up. tomorrow i am climbing under the truck and feel around maybe use my camera phone and a light to use as a mirror to see anything up there. but that was the main reason i wanted my shit back was to see what wasnt put in before i go to dropping the tank. before my gauge was bouncing around i figurd bad float on the airtex pump. but now the gauge is backwards like that tells me its reverse polarity as in if they did use the new pigtail its wired backwards. and if i find out that it is the dealership wont here the end of it as i will write a formal complaint for one my truck sitting for 2 days when my appt time was right when they open monday and they had 5 hours to complete the work. and two a stupid ***** tech who doesnt know shit! the dealer service guy said i could have them dig into what the problem was but they would charge me i said hell no i wont pay you. the only reason i ever take anything to the dealer is for recalls or to trade in. overpriced half the techs are dipshits. i have been wrenching for 15 years and the only failures i have ever had is caliper pin bolts being bad go figure all three were a grandam, malibu, and saturn ion. which all pretty much interchange with one another lol. so monday after i pick up my old parts im going to be interrogating them because have a gauge work backwards just seems fishy to me since it worked perfectly fine before. aside from the bouncing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaintMiles

Latest posts