gas guage vibrates??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryank99

Reaction score
anyone have a clue why my gas needle vibrates? it reads correctly but it vibrates back and forth real fast. i though it might have been from engine vibration but it does with the ignition on engine off. it only moves about a 1/16" bothways

OP
OP
R

ryank99

Reaction score
that was my initial thought too...my altenator is whining like its on it last leg so i thought maybe it was back feeding in the electrical. but yeah, that thought got thrown out the window when it was still doing it with the engine off. i think i'm slowy coming to the conclusion that my guage just might be faulty. do you know if ot how it can be repaired??

Johnny Racer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand its the sending unit that is "bobbing" up and down in your tank that can cause this flucuation. Mine does the same thing but it is only a small little "wiggle" so it does not bother me that much. Not worth the money to fix it imo. Besides, I know how much gas I use and what kind of mileage that nets me so the trip OD can be a valuable friend.

yukonfever99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
no its the sending unit, i dont know what year yours is but my 99 yukon has the same problem. i was talkin to my mecanic and he has alot of these problems, "the stock sending unit has a wire problem once it goes bad change it and it should be fine" he said but no need to change it till it goes bad.

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've heard it's the "stepper motor" that drives the needle. when it starts going bad, it vibrates back and forth. when mine started doing it, it was a little creepy, like nothing should be able to vibrate back and forth that fast like that. but yeah, my vote is stepper motor, and not real sure about if you can change it out, i would reckon you can, but i never looked into it any more than that.

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=95547

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=48886

just some quick things i found, and know it's not our body specific, but something to get you started anyhow.

OP
OP
R

ryank99

Reaction score
no its the sending unit, i dont know what year yours is but my 99 yukon has the same problem. i was talkin to my mecanic and he has alot of these problems, "the stock sending unit has a wire problem once it goes bad change it and it should be fine" he said but no need to change it till it goes bad.

when he said a problem with the wire, do you know if he meant wiring within the truck or the sending unit? the reason i ask is because when i replaced the fuel pump i replaced the whole unit (new pump, pick-up, sending unit, ect) it was having the same problem with the old and new sending unit. it not too big a deal because it still read the fuel level fairly accurate, its just wierd see one of the guages like that...it almost looks blurry its moving so fast

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andraliahlee