GM extended warranty and differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rxis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Will performing my own differential fluid change void my gm extended warranty?

If I use another brand for differential fluid such as RP, Amsoil, or Mobil1, will it void my warranty?

I have been told too many different things by professionals in the auto service industry. Changing my own differential fluid shouldn't be difficult nor expensive!

hassoun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think it would void your warranty. its stupid i know but i think the only way to prove that you've been performing all maintenance on time is to do it at the dealer or a professional shop. i do my own differential oil. its as easy as changing engine oil. i recommend Royal purple. its a little expensive but very well worth it. i put 5k on my engine oil and it still smells delicious haha

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Doing that will not void your warranty. Just like changing engine oil won't. Now if you screw it up it will void your diffrential warranty, but by no means not the whole warranty.

Z15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It won't affect your warranty. For that matter how would they even know what you put in there?

Warranties are based on the use of proper lubricants meeting the spec's and not brand names. If the lube meets the spec then that all you have to worry about. You are not required to use GM products no matter what the dealer or anyone else tells you. GM does not make oil and lubes, they contract with lowest bidder oil companies to package it for them under their name. The sell oil and lubes to MAKE MORE MONEY. That's the only reason, they like Harley-Davidson want every penny you have if they can get it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rxis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. My gut has been telling me that it didn't matter but all the opinions and reading forum posts has got me confused.

jcrack_corn

Reaction score
thanks to SEMA:

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

for about 3 decades it has been federal law that car owners can do their own maintenance and modifications without voiding warranties.

obviously certain mods/disabling vehicle systems (like MAF for example) may cause headaches.

Interestingly, the "free-maintenance" that some auto manufactures are providing now (like BMW, dont touch it for the first 50k) are addressed in the act and they CAN force you to bring it to them for oil changes/etc *ONLY* if such items are free of charge (and of course they would have to provide loaner car for loss of use). this doesnt appear to be a can of worms that the manufacturers want to open (providing loaners and doing all maintenance on all BMW's, etc sold) so AFAIK even they havent challenged owners.

There are plenty of examples of the opposite (warranty coverage denied due to LACK of routine maintenance by owner).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member