got 1k to spend want more performance suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sprayed99

Reaction score
(some stated above) torque converter, z06 cam, Electric fan, vette servos, headers, then bb tune should clean it up nicely

so i have been told :D (still working on mine)

Why is everyone so hung up on the vetter servo? If you want better money spent you better go with a shift kit as well and service the transmission with a new filter and fluid.

Also many dont mention this if you are planning a converter swap you need to upgrade the transmission cooler.

the ZO6 Cam is a waste of time.

Here is my list

Converter
Trans cooler
Superior shift kit
Vette Servo (Only if you are going to do the shift kit)
trans fluid
pan gasket
trans filter
Electric fans
Tune

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Vette Servo is an easy DIY mod, the shift kits are great, but a lot more labor intensive.

Sprayed99

Reaction score
The Vette Servo is an easy DIY mod, the shift kits are great, but a lot more labor intensive.

I disagree. There are many videos out there explaining the bolt placement and torque when reinstalling the valve body and so on.

Have been in and around the transmission industry my entire life I have seen many transmissions cases thats were trashed because the DIY'er didnt seat the snap ring in place 100% on the servo cover. I think a cam swap is an easy DIY also so to each their own.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As you said, it will all depend on the person. But to compare a servo to a shift kit is certainly not apples to apples.

While I agree that a shift kit is great, we have used them on our personal vehicles- it will be outside of the $20 price of a Servo. If folks can't install it themselves, they should have a shop do it. Of course people will screw up a servo, I have seen people screw up an e-fan install as well- just depends on the person.

Sprayed99

Reaction score
As you said, it will all depend on the person. But to compare a servo to a shift kit is certainly not apples to apples.

While I agree that a shift kit is great, we have used them on our personal vehicles- it will be outside of the $20 price of a Servo. If folks can't install it themselves, they should have a shop do it. Of course people will screw up a servo, I have seen people screw up an e-fan install as well- just depends on the person.

this isn't helping the OP if you want to start a debate then you can PM me.

To the OP sorry for the clutter in your thread.

Heres a thought for what it is worth: I trust people that do these type of things and have been down the path several times and have the proper training and knowledge. I don't however trust advise from those that stand to benefit from your decission.

This is not a bash towards Jenna as her and Justin have been around the forums for a bit, but rather an irratation that vendors give advise when they stand to make money based on the persons final decission.

That is all.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just a clarification, we don't sell Vette Servos- nor did I see this as a debate.

05Yukon23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. I just want to say Jenna has never done anything but give great advice from what I have seen and I have way more than 20 posts.

As far as the servo goes, I am a DIYer who installed his own servo with no issues for months now. It really is EASY. Easy doesn't mean you can be lazy. Double check everything. The great thing about it is that it is $20, makes a noticeable difference even before a tune, and is something you can do yourself.

OP
OP
E

edgarking69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
nah its cool i dnt mind everyone has their own opinion

but anyways i plan on doin both and i can do all the work myself i know my way around an engine and tras ive just never really tried to mod an auto besides doin the same servo upgrade to my 96 silverado

my main questions are
1. where to buy
2. what brands
3. how much fluid for full flush
4. what stall speed for converter
5. what other supporting trans upgrades to make the biggest difference

another thing is and this is purely cosmetic and personal prefference but id like to do a ratcher shifter is this doable on these newer trans

Sprayed99

Reaction score
Please answer the following questions and I can give you my selections I would choose. I will include links with pricing and part numbers.

do you tow? If so what?
is this a DD?
what are your driving habits?
what is the climate like where you drive?
what is your overall goal for the truck?
Are you looking more max performance or economy minded performance (if there is such a thing)?

OP
OP
E

edgarking69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i dont tow anything
yes it is a dd
well my wife drives it mostly she babies it as where i get it every weekend and ocassionaly during the week but i drive alittle crazyer i got a lead foot
i live in colorado so winters are down to about 0 degrees and heat can get up to 99 degrees
my overall goal is just to add some more power dnt really have a number in mind as i dnt know what the stock specs are but id like to be able to atleast get pushed back pretty good on my seat when i step on it
mmmm id have to say max performance while still retainin a dd driveability i dnt wanna have something thats a pain in the ass for my wife to drive everyday

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustGibby