HE383E crate motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWdiver

Reaction score
found one for 4,200 bucks + tax for my 99 4x4, is this a good price ?
or they have one stock unit for 2,000.00...?

OP
OP
BWdiver

BWdiver

Reaction score
The two that I mention above are new GM crate motors that will go in turnkey.
by what I see so far on the net 2000.00 grand for a crate motor with a warrenty isn't too bad. of couse the HE383E is a direct drop in replacement and the dealer said there is nothing to do extra that the trucks computer will adapt perfectly to the engine.
I've never had any good luck with the builders as far as stock rebuild goes. to many shortcuts usally spells disaster on my end.

dan291000

Reaction score
The two that I mention above are new GM crate motors that will go in turnkey.
by what I see so far on the net 2000.00 grand for a crate motor with a warrenty isn't too bad. of couse the HE383E is a direct drop in replacement and the dealer said there is nothing to do extra that the trucks computer will adapt perfectly to the engine.
I've never had any good luck with the builders as far as stock rebuild goes. to many shortcuts usally spells disaster on my end.

Here is an option http://www.stylintrucks.com/part.aspx?partfamilyid=5957&partid=559700

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it really depends on what you want. Does HT383E seem like something you need or would the stock 350 be enough or add a cam and other goodies to it. $4200 for that motor is not horrible though. They go as high as $5,500

OP
OP
BWdiver

BWdiver

Reaction score
I would like to have the 383, the extra TQ and HP would greatly help when pulling the four wheelers to the camp. But I'm sure I will have to have the tranny upgraded also.

Constant

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Necro post

Are you still running the 4L60-e stock with the 383? I ask because my 4L60E has been perfect and I plan on swapping for the HT383E in the spring time (L31 will go into my old 84 Scottsdale).

Has anyone else had problems with the 4L60 and the 383 or a high HP engine? I've got 135xxx on mine and I've kept it pretty clean (and cool). I've looked around for other posts on this and haven't seen anything.

DBLTAP

Reaction score
There's a lot other items to consider. First, i cant imagine dropping in the 383 and not tuning the computer to get the most out of it and that's another $200.00. Second, have you considered the cost of a new belt, hoses, power steering pump, starter, alternator, water pump, cables, and fluid's? I know that none of it has to be replaced...but its so much easier on the stand, and who wants to deal with a starter failure on a brand new motor a month after the install. It all comes down to the budget, $4200.00 isn't bad if it isn't your entire project budget. i elected to drop in the crate motor, tune the computer and replace every accessory on the motor. As much as i wanted a 383 i couldn't be happier. just a few things to consider, and my 02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925