Head unit suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
I'd like to know if it's as slow as people say it is after you are finished installing it. Boss has kenwood Excelon from last year with the maestro etc in his 2012 Yukon. It's nice but painfully slow to boot up.

4wheelin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So got the radio installed this weekend after the temps got up in the 70's outside. I can say that I love this thing! I also happen to have a 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT with the 8.4 double din radio that came with all the goodies on it, but this Kenwood is way better. By a lot. I can turn the back up camera on while driving and watch behind me, which I thought was pretty neat. I can minimize the map, a dvd if one is playing, or camera, and still see the radio stations to the side of that. The nav is spot on and it includes my speed, the posted speed limit, and no annoying chime that tells me I'm going over the speed limit.

Pros- Too many to list. This thing is just plain cool, and I still haven't learned how to use a lot of things on it yet!

Cons- Installation. There are a ton of wires. I need several other components to make everything work. By everything I mean steering wheel controls, the GMOS for the amp and Bose speakers, a new Sirius XM satellite receiver, and the back up camera. There is just enough room to fit all of this behind the radio, and I had to remove the climate controls so that I could push the rest of the wires in.

This unit does take about 15 second to warm up and come on, but the back up camera is instant when put in reverse, and by the time I've backed out of the driveway it's already on. I use remote start during the winter, so it's on anyway by the time I get in.

I put it in myself and it took about 6 hours, counting wiring things up and routing the new camera and XM receiver out the back of the truck to the roof and having to remove some interior trim pieces to make it happen. I can probably do it in half the time now that I know where the wires all go to.

I forgot to mention that I have an HTC N8 phone and it pairs with the Bluetooth flawlessly. It's all hands free and I can make calls by speaking into the microphone that comes with the radio (I mounted it on the windshield, comes with peel and stick backing). If I'm talking on the phone and shut the Yukon off, my phone automatically picks up the conversation and I can continue it.

All told, I have about $850 invested in it between the radio and other parts to make it all work.

Last edited:

Bruizza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have considered this head unit myself and seen it mentioned numerous times on here.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-4100NEX-Multimedia-Receiver-Touchscreen/dp/B00SKJPKGW
Have seen it a bit cheaper on eBay sometimes too. Might be worth a look.

Here was a write up down recently from one installed in an NNBS.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/pioneer-4100nex-installed.74114/

I have this HU installed. If you have an iPhone it is amazing. The integrated Apple Carplay rocks. Press a button and ask Siri for anything. Have her read you your texts and you can reply. Use Google maps or Apple maps for navigation. Plays DVDs and movies from a usb stick. Just TONS of things you can do with it. I bought a refurb with factory warranty for pretty cheap.

4wheelin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's a nice looking radio too. Does all the same things as mine. My girlfriend has an IPhone. I'm trying to get her to pair it up so I can see all the extra stuff I'm missing out on by using an android phone. Pioneer makes great stuff. I have a single din Pioneer HU that's paired with Pioneer speakers in my other Yukon, and that rocks out pretty loud when it's cranked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DwaneM