Headliner or Headrest DVD for 2001 Denali XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

81X11

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 2001 Denali XL we just bought, and the one thing it's missing is a DVD for the kids. Our '03 Suburban had the factory Panasonic headliner setup, and we loved it.

I'd like to put a roof-mounted unit in this Denali, but unlike the '03 Burb, where the rear-seat a/c controls were on the console, in the Denali they are in a pod on the roof, right where the DVD would mount.

SO what have others done here? Re-locate or remove the rear controls?

If it's less of a hassle I could go with headrest DVD's. I hate to lose the sharp-looking Denali headrests, but if this is simpler, I could go this route. Question here is how hard is it to run the wires through the seats? Anyone done it?

We love the new-to-us Denali but my wife is demanding a DVD for road trips. Any advice is appreciated!

-Mike

Kevhill85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Care to add any more detail to what you have in there?

It all took about 3 hours to I stall

I am useing concepts Chamelon headreat screens
http://www.amazon.com/Concept-CLD-700-Chameleon-Headrest-Monitor/dp/B003152680

Also running a pioneer avh-p3200dvd headunit.

Sound strom video booster.
http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Storm-Laboratories-SVA4-Amplifier/dp/B000O554MU

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

I have two more headrest screen left . I can let them go for $90 each . They are new me er used .

mharders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with te headrest in my Denali..
b1a699be24999338b26052014c68426a.gif

I have these same monitors in mine and they're good for the price. Install was pretty easy. For power I just pulled the 12v from the deck and ran it under the console. As far as the headrests, Just unclip the bottom of the seats and reach your hand up while feeding the wire down from the top.

Last edited:

magicbus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as a retired car stereo installer, I say headrest 1000 times over, overheads are more hassle to install in my opinion and block rear view when using a large enough monitor. Also, if you have more than one kid you know as well as anyone that they don't always agree on what to watch or play, with monitors with dvd players in each headrest they can watch or play whatever they want.

magicbus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can find constant and ground in the console for sure, but I would go to the radio since they are so easy to remove. I'm not sure if the SEO ACC plug in (black junction block beside park brake pedal) has ACC and constant on the 00-02, It does from 03+ so I would figure you could find it there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968