Help me find a good deal on a CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autozone and pepboys carry spectre now too. The tube supposedly helps keep heat down. It will make the engine growl a little at WOT. Better filter plus lower heat equals faster more dense air geting to the engine. More dense air to an extent means better fuel burn. You won't see huge gains but somewhere around 5 hp is a fair guess. Add an exhaust so it can exhale as well as it inhales now and you'll get a little better.

Dylan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a spectre as well. Didn't care for it much at first but it has grown on me. The growl at WOT is more than a little in my opinion but not all that bad sounding. I did some flow tests I can post here if you'd like of the spectre and the stock. I've since added a corsa sport to help it exhale as said above. I did notice with just the CAI that the throttle response was better, little less lag from a dead stop.

Teqdogg

Reaction score
I just got my spectre as well for about $120 shipped from autoanything. Gonna install tomorrow.

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a spectre as well. Didn't care for it much at first but it has grown on me. The growl at WOT is more than a little in my opinion but not all that bad sounding. I did some flow tests I can post here if you'd like of the spectre and the stock. I've since added a corsa sport to help it exhale as said above. I did notice with just the CAI that the throttle response was better, little less lag from a dead stop.

Would you mind PMing me the flow numbers? I'm curious

Dylan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
name='Dylan' date='Mar 1 2010, 11:16 PM' post='340392']
I read about this intake on here last night and started looking it over and doing some research. Overall it looked OK and people have laid claim to better performance and sharper throttle response. As of right now (two hours and 20 miles) I will agree the throttle feels a little better. It is noisy though under WOT and I'm unsure if I'm liking this sound.

The hard data.
I obtained all of this off my snap-on ScanCheck live data under the same driving conditions and route at operating temp. Outside temp is 50o

Idle for 10 minutes in park

Stock IAT: 73o
Spectre IAT: 104o

Stock MAF: .67
Spectre MAF: .65

Readings @ 30mph (lb/min)

Stock
IAT: 59o
MAF: .97 Coasting off throttle
MAF: 1.73 Cruise

Spectre
IAT: 52o
MAF: .97 Coasting off throttle
MAF: 1.78 Cruise

Readings @ 65mph (lb/min)

Stock
IAT: 60o
MAF: 1.25 Coasting off throttle
MAF 4.24 Cruise

Spectre
IAT: 54o
MAF: 1.19 Coasting off throttle
MAF: 4.26 Cruise

As of right now I'm unsure of this intake. Performance gains are minimal under these conditions and I have the concern now of water. I'll give it a week or so and see if my MPG changes at all or I see gains anywhere else. If not, there will be an intake for sale soon lol.

Dylan

I'm waiting for another 50o night so I can run the same pace and collect some data with the corsa sport. Since we're now in the spring time I doubt I'll see one for some time here in texas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcaphou