New Torque convertor now ECM Wont Communicate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68jay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hoping someone can shed some new light...Long Story short I have a 2017 Tahoe, transmission started slipping in 1-3 gear, took it out and apart. Everything I checked was in good shape (ie Clutchs/bearings etc.) I replaced the Torque Converter and reinstalled everything back in..

As always I had the battery disconnected in all this but when I hooked it back up seemed to be at only 5 volts..not sure how..recharged and tested battery everything was fine..

Truck dash lights up gives me a bunch of warnings about steering, stabilizer etc but will not start and then gives me a warning that its "not in park"? Checked everything to make sure including opening up the pan and physically checking and including replacing the "Shift Indicator switch" on the TECHM but still gives me the "Action Notice".

Hooked up my scanner and tells me "Error" and cannot even read my ECM (Fuses etc all fine)..I have chased my tail with double checking everything but have been defeated.

Any new ideas would be helpful!

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoping someone can shed some new light...Long Story short I have a 2017 Tahoe, transmission started slipping in 1-3 gear, took it out and apart. Everything I checked was in good shape (ie Clutchs/bearings etc.) I replaced the Torque Converter and reinstalled everything back in..

As always I had the battery disconnected in all this but when I hooked it back up seemed to be at only 5 volts..not sure how..recharged and tested battery everything was fine..

Truck dash lights up gives me a bunch of warnings about steering, stabilizer etc but will not start and then gives me a warning that its "not in park"? Checked everything to make sure including opening up the pan and physically checking and including replacing the "Shift Indicator switch" on the TECHM but still gives me the "Action Notice".

Hooked up my scanner and tells me "Error" and cannot even read my ECM (Fuses etc all fine)..I have chased my tail with double checking everything but have been defeated.

Any new ideas would be helpful!
Idea #1 - change your thread title, put something that indicates your specific problem

Idea #2 - Perform a Fast adapt relearn - must be done before you attempt to drive it.

Idea #3 - Read through my thread on these transmissions, you may find your answers, including your IMS concern, there.

OP
OP

68jay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Idea #1 - change your thread title, put something that indicates your specific problem

Idea #2 - Perform a Fast adapt relearn - must be done before you attempt to drive it.

Idea #3 - Read through my thread on these transmissions, you may find your answers, including your IMS concern, there.

Thanks I will read through...and Edited my title..

OP
OP

68jay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don’t have a scan tool that can reset, I have checked tge connection on the transmission 3 times to ensure.. starting to think it could be the BCM?

One thing I should also note is something is draining the battery, I have recharged and load tested and the battery is good, I also left it all night unplugged from the truck and had kept a charge.

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t have a scan tool that can reset, I have checked tge connection on the transmission 3 times to ensure.. starting to think it could be the BCM?
You have to do a fast adapt relearn anytime you do anything to the transmission beyond just a fluid and filter change. This includes the torque converter since the computer will adapt to TC degradation that shows up as drivability symptoms and/or anomalous data readings to the PCM. So you will need to acquire a scan tool that's capable of doing so...Besides, this is an excellent opportunity for you to augment your kit with a scanner since every DYI'er shouldn't be without one, especially those that own computer-controlled vehicles (early 1980s+).

I'd go over everything in the transmission area again, just to be sure no ground wires/straps are missing/loose, no wires are cut/frayed, everything is connected/plugged in, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mech581