Help...too many choices [new Tahoe/GMC]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beckmaster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Currently we are in a 2022 Z71 tahoe with 47k miles and recently we have been nickel and dimed with problems. I assume it is a COVID car if that means anything and we want a new one, but there are a ton of options and I am getting more and more confused as I dig through the configurators.

Currently we have the Z71 5.3 engine with tow package and I can't remember if we added offroad package to it or it came standard. We live in the snow and take the car on ski trips which makes us want the best on snow performance possible, and yes we make sure we have good tires. Just love the car and want something similar. The thing is I would also like to add adaptive cruise and maybe the fancy pants smart drive feature. I definitely do not want air ride because I figure that is a big maintenance issue in the future and we generally prefer to keep our cars for 100k+miles. I'm not sure about the magnetic ride if that is worth it or not.

Now to my questions:
1) Is the magnetic ride a future maintenance problem like air suspension is?
2) Is there a way to get adaptive cruise with or without smart drive with an off-road package on a 5.3 engine but no air ride suspension either via GMC or Chevy? Wow that was a long winded question. But I want to figure out if I can put tother the car I want or do I have to compromise.

Thanks for even reading and I look forward to any advice or direction.

-Beck

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i was looking at the gmc fleet configuration adaptive cruise is standard on every yukon trim in 2025. May want to look there and see if tahoe is same or similar.

As a previous gm tech we almost never saw premature magnetoreheological shock issues. But many would leak at the 100k+ mark and the GM oem stuff was a good chunk of change.

Air suspensions can be more fussy but the components aside from the compressor are cheaper.

Either one will only need at most 1 replacement during a products life cycle. The magnetic shocks are amazing for ride. The air shocks are great for leveling out a towing rig. That's what separates their use case really.

OP
OP
B

beckmaster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When i was looking at the gmc fleet configuration adaptive cruise is standard on every yukon trim in 2025. May want to look there and see if tahoe is same or similar.

As a previous gm tech we almost never saw premature magnetoreheological shock issues. But many would leak at the 100k+ mark and the GM oem stuff was a good chunk of change.

Air suspensions can be more fussy but the components aside from the compressor are cheaper.

Either one will only need at most 1 replacement during a products life cycle. The magnetic shocks are amazing for ride. The air shocks are great for leveling out a towing rig. That's what separates their use case really.
Wow....That explanation was so helpful. I really appreciate it. Curious, is any one better than the other with regards to getting traction in snow? I know that electromagnetic is better off road, but I am more concerned with snow.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nasgod

Latest posts