Help with trouble starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df_puffer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
have a 2003 Yukon Denali and having a problem getting it to turn over.

Today I got up and drove it to the store and when went to leave the store it would crank and try to turn over but wouldn't. it was like I was running out of gas, bad gas or it maybe flooded. After about 30 tries it would turn over but run very, very rough. than stall. after a couple more try's I got it to start running very rough then idle smoothed out eventually to 600rpms. while I was sitting for a few minutes there to see if it would mess up again....the idle started to surge to 2k rpm on the tac all by itself while I was staring at the engine scratching my head??? I ran in the truck and hit the gas then it settled to about 600rpms. drove perfect for a couple miles than started act like I was running out of gas or very bad gas again. so I pulled off the side of the road. same scenario trying to get it start then finally did and drove fine for the next 2 miles to my house. I shut it off then tried to start in driveway again and no go???:wtf: fuel pump is about a year old.

Anywhere I should start.

sbubbaklein

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fuel filter can freeze if water in fuel. Sock on pump can clog from dirt in tank. Would be best to drop tank and clean out.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel pump. Just because the fuel pump is a year old doesn't mean its not going out. Check your fuel pressure.

Any engine lights? Is the hum from the fuel pump consistent? Last tune up?

Cameron

OP
OP
D

df_puffer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
no lights at all? changed the fuel filter... it was pretty crusty. Prior to filter change I swapped relays with known good one and same outcome. before new filter fuel Schrader valve didn't have hardly have any pressure checking with pressing needle depressed. after filter change Schrader has enough pressure to spray out. I went and got a fuel pressure gauge to see if there is enough pressure. gonna check it now. I hope I didn't mess up my pump with dirty filter. I do have newer plugs, wires, oil, water etc. I just neglected to fuel filter.

I checked the fuel pressure regulator vac line for fuel in it and its dry as a bone. but I ripped the rubber seal/end a little. hope that doesn't add to problem. wrapped some ele tape on it for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dap365

Latest posts