help with vinyl on side of leather seats is cracking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOPROBROBB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any fixes or solutions for the vinyl thats cracking on the side of the leather seats. Its for a 2002 tahoe lt with tan interior. The leather seats still look fien for the most part so i dont want to replace everything and its just on the drivers side the vinyl cracking. I just got my camera back from the shop so ill take a picture and post it so you guys can get a better picture of what im talking about. Thanks for the help!

I was looking online and found this:http://www.totalrepairkit.com/?gclid=CO-8r6-Op54CFShGagodAgtOmg

has anyone used this Total repair kit by duragear?

Last edited:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's instructions from someone else in a different post/forum, but same thing... I must worn you though this post was made in Feb 09 and by Oct 09, he just replaced the cover as it kept coming back...

someone said:
OK, as a profession I do mobile auto reconditioning. I mostly fix scratches, dings, dents and exterior work for used car dealers and private owners who have lease returns or want their cars looking good. However, I do some interior reconditioning as well, so I thought I'd share a few pointers.

As everyone knows the Escalade seat bottoms wear like no tomorrow! Instead of spending $200+ (EACH!) on a new seat bottom, I'd rather freshen it up a bit, much like I do on lease returns and used cars. You will need a $9 bottle of SEM SOAP and an $11 bottle of SEM 149B SHALE (#17203) Classic Coat leather paint. You can find these at most auto body supply shops. SEM has a list of their distributors on their website.

Lets get started! Here's what you need:

seatsem.jpg

seat4.jpg

seat.jpg

seat3.jpg

^^^ Notice the slight discoloration? ^^^

You will need to thoroughly clean the leather to be painted to get rid of any conditioner or grease left behind. Dab a little on a heavy duty Blue paper towel and use a spray bottle to spray the leather with water. Mask the area you don't want over-spray.

seat2.jpg

seat1.jpg

You will want to apply 3-4 light coats. You may want to go slightly heavier to fill in the "cracks", NOT THE CREASES! If you look closely at the seats, you will notice the black "dirty" spots are actually really small cracks. Those will be filled in.

seat7.jpg

seat8.jpg

seat9.jpg

And the other side.... (sorry no before pics, it was just as dirty/worn as the driver side)

seat5.jpg

seat6.jpg

Pics don't do any justice. The difference in person is night and day! Although the problem with the creases will not be solved, it will definitely make you happier to live with. The paint is amazing, the blending properties within the SEM paint are unbelievable. You will notice the paint is really not a paint, but more like a dye. It just disappears into the leather and blends perfectly. You will not have to paint the entire seat. Just don't lay the paint on thick, and you will be pleased!

Last edited:
OP
OP
NOPROBROBB

NOPROBROBB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks NathanJax for the post, ill have to look into it, im thinking that ill eventually just need to fork out the money to have someone redo them or get new seats if i want them to look nice, i ve been using leather treatment on them snce i bought it to help preserve them

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh wow, awesome. i was looking into buying new seats or recovering cause of all the cracking but that looks like it fills it in. im going to try to find this. thanks for the post

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcqkslvr

Latest posts