Hey brand new here, have a few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

h3o

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey well i just bought my 98 tahoe ls, just a few quick questions on the interior that i just cant seem to find searching.

Now my interior lights only turn on if i use the dome override switch next to the headlight switch, but it stays on no matter what even if all the doors are closed and the keys are out of the ignition, but if i push the button again everything turns off and doesnt come back on. is this normal or do i have something wrong? if there is something wrong where do i start looking??

also i have a front bench seat with the fold down middle, now i really dont like the cup holders on the dash cause i can just see stuff falling out of it. Has anyone done a center console with a front bench seat?

and one last thing, my needle on my fuel gauge is vibrating like mad, now i think this is just a common chevy thing cause my work van (2003 chevy express) does the same thing, is there a fix or should i just leave it alone since it still functions properly.

thanks in advance for the help.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your Dome override switch should only control the lights turning on or off when a door is ajar , sometimes however they will stay on for a while even after exiting or entering the vehicle they should turn off after starting and after you lock the doors with a key fob , If you don't have a key fob I would imagine the lights should turn off automatically so to not drain your battery .

As for the bench seat center console Ive seen it done but personally didn't like it as it takes up too much room , I will try and track down the photos I saved from the guy who did the mod,

The fuel gage is a common issue as slipping listed there is a Fix , I accidentally fixed mine by swapping in a Denali gauge cluster in place of mine Just a FYI if your interested in that mod it might be a possible fix for you

OP
OP
H

h3o

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so if my sensor was bad on the door is there any like "door ajar" light that should be on? and do you know if its normally open or normally closed circuit when it is depressed?

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is no Door ajar on these vehicles , I would start with the switch itself Mine had a rheostat problem and replacing the switch. Just an Idea

Sunlitcomet A member here would be able to troubleshoot this problem better than anybody hopefully he can chime in

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pnut