HID question for newbie: 2011 LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LTZ123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking at the DDM kits to upgrade my stock headlights to HID. Need fairly explicit help on what parts should be ordered please? I have tried to search the forum's database but still confused. Seems like different people use different bulbs, and not sure if you need the entire "kit" or just the bulbs?

I am used to standard/oem "xenon" lights in my other cars. The halogens on the Tahoe seem a bit dim to my 48 year old eyes. Just want something brighter and whiter....need it to see, not for "show". LOL

Could you all please help confirm/deny the following:

1. I think I need an H11 bulb.

2. Not sure if I need just the bulbs, or the entire "kit" (bulbs, tails, black boxes)?

3. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using the kit vs. just the bulb?

4. Is it an easy install...I have fat fingers. I can usually change a 9004/9007 type of bulb, but much past that, I'm a klutz.

5. If someone could simply write the parts list I should get - that'd be great.

Thank you all very much in advance.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I'm not sure what bulbs the newer ones use, but this is what you need for the easy setup:

1 kit for each set of lights you want HID's in; i.e. 1 kit for lows. 1 kit for fogs, etc. You need the whole kit...the "black box" is the ballast. It's essentially the power supply. It converts the truck power into a much higher power to run the bulbs. It is absolutely necessary to run HID's.

The install is easy. The trucks existing bulb plug goes in one side of the ballast, it converts the power out through a second plug to the bulbs, so they are plug and play. The only real work that needs to be done is mounting the ballasts somewhere which is pretty easily done, typically with zip-ties.

So, figure out what bulb is OEM and order that kit and you should be good to go.

One other thing is the color choice. Unless you are going for a cool look, get the 4300-5000k bulbs for maximum usable light.

Have fun!

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Just looked at Modded's thread, and dang, those new models are waaaaay more complicated than the old ones. My headlights take about 10 seconds to completely remove or put back in.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the DDM kits to upgrade my stock headlights to HID. Need fairly explicit help on what parts should be ordered please? I have tried to search the forum's database but still confused. Seems like different people use different bulbs, and not sure if you need the entire "kit" or just the bulbs?

I am used to standard/oem "xenon" lights in my other cars. The halogens on the Tahoe seem a bit dim to my 48 year old eyes. Just want something brighter and whiter....need it to see, not for "show". LOL

Could you all please help confirm/deny the following:

1. I think I need an H11 bulb.

2. Not sure if I need just the bulbs, or the entire "kit" (bulbs, tails, black boxes)?

3. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using the kit vs. just the bulb?

4. Is it an easy install...I have fat fingers. I can usually change a 9004/9007 type of bulb, but much past that, I'm a klutz.

5. If someone could simply write the parts list I should get - that'd be great.

Thank you all very much in advance.

If you have an 07-11 Tahoe, yes you need an H11 bulb. You need 2 H11 Bulbs and 2 Ballasts (one for each bulb). The relay switch is not necesarrily needed. You can go on eBay or on ddmtuning.com to buy just the bulbs or ballasts, but it is cheaper to get a "kit". You can't use "just the bulb". An HID bulb requires the ballast. It is a very easy install. Pretty much plug and play but you do have to loosen up the headlight housing to get to the H11 plug. Just go to this page from ddtuning.com and put H11 bulb and your preferred "Bulb Color". HID Harness, Error Eliminator, and adaptor cables are not needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus