Hitch Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what drop people are using for there hitches. I know a lot of it depends on the trailer, however the hitch is mounted so high on the new gen. Tahoe's that it almost looks like for a standard boat trailer you would need a 6" drop hitch.

What are you guys using when you are pulling boats around?

Landshark

Reaction score
It does seem pretty high. I use a 5.25 drop and it's nice and level pulling the boat. If I hook up a utility trailer though it is too high.

mdtahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 5.25 which is slightly high for my utility trailer. I have not hooked the boat trailer up yet. If it would ever stop raining here I would be able to go get my boat from the marina and un shrink rap it to get it ready for the season

Seismic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I only use a 2" drop, towing a pontoon boat. It sits perfectly level, which suprised me with the height on the model.

Here is some info that I used off the Reese website:

Ball Mounts

Selecting the correct Ball Mount

Step 1:
Measure from the ground to the top of the hitch.

Step 2:
Level trailer, then measure from the ground to the top of the trailer coupler.

Step 3:
Subtract the height of the hitch ball (most are 2-1/2" to 3" high) from Step 2. The example would be 18" minus 3" = 15".

Step 4:
The difference between Step 1 and Step 3 would be the "Drop" or "Rise" that is needed for your Towing System. The example would be a result of 8" (23" minus 15") Drop is required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V6wells