How long it takes your Tahoe to warm up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DennisW1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Found this thread after a bit of searching and it deals with exactly my question.

2008 Tahoe LS, 5.3 Flex Fuel engine. 110k miles. Truck runs perfectly, coolant is good, levels are correct, and once it warms up the temp needle stays right at top dead center which says 210. I've run it with a scan tool that tells me the PCM is reporting 192-195 when warmed up. Heat is great, only concern is the same as was mentioned here. In cold weather (Midwest) it can take 15 minutes or so to reach full operating temp. I was considering replacing the thermostat, guess it couldn't hurt, but this being my first vehicle with the Vortec motor I'm still learning it's quirks, just didn't know if slow warmup was one of them.
Also, I"m a bit shocked at the price of a simple thermostat. $50+ for an OEM, $30 from any of the auto parts chains like O'Reilly or Advance. And they list theirs as 180 degree.
So, sorta picking the brains of the forum here...........

Livalidle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 09 and it takes around 10 minutes before it puts out any heat.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 09 and it takes around 10 minutes before it puts out any heat.

Same here. I usually fire up the remote start about 10 minutes before I have to leave on cold mornings, and its warm (but not hot yet) when I jump in.

OP
OP
R

Ronyo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don't bother with the thermostat, I changed mine, made no difference.

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

I'm thinking of disconnecting the rear AC/heater core so coolant is not traveling all the way to the rear to shorten warm up time.
Anyone done that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus