How to de-mold???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ranorris2

The Coolest
Reaction score
Could someone give me a detailed how to on demolding? I am wanting to replace my black side mouldings with the newer mouldings that have the chrome...I know how to do some of it...I guess my main concern is getting all the 3m tape off of my door so its clean, smooth and ready for the new moulding to go.

-Ryan

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting the adhesive off is easy.

1. Get a 3m adhesive eraser wheel (your fingers will thank you)
2. Use said wheel on adhesive
3. Clay bar and polish area where molding use to be and presto truck is shiney :)

OP
OP
ranorris2

ranorris2

The Coolest
Reaction score
Will the eraser wheel hurt the paint in any way, being that i would be an amateur with it?

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

I assume they have that at any auto parts store

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you can get it at most auto parts stores. They have them at auto zone here. If you google it online you'll find it pretty fast.

You will not hurt the paint. It'll produce a lot of "dust" so what I do is wipe it off as I go so that I can see where the adhesive still is and hit that spot.

OP
OP
ranorris2

ranorris2

The Coolest
Reaction score
Sweet I'm going to pick this up tomorrow morning...it will save me $120 doing myself instead of the body shop. I figured it was an easy task to accomplish on my own, and when I heard the shop price I couldn't believe it....well I will have pics tomorrow.

Thanks for your help Jacob.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:waytogo: no problem. Post back if you have any more questions :)

gnarpow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure not to keep the wheel in one place for too long. They do produce a pretty good amount of heat. And yes, as with most things like this, if you aren't careful you could mess up the paint.

OP
OP
ranorris2

ranorris2

The Coolest
Reaction score
Well I can't find any of these wheels....just the spray remover. :(

Sent from your boss's iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just order one online and wait til it gets in. Thats what I did, its well worth the wait.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the eraser wheel at my local autozone. Check oreilly's and advance auto parts too depending on your location. Some of the same stores will have it at a certain location but not other locations. I had to hunt one down >:0

I'd give you the rest of my eraser wheel but I left it in Louisiana when I moved!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus

Latest posts