How to do an oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Valvoline

LI99HOE

Top Notch Tech.
Reaction score
This time round I used Kendall w/liquid titanium synthetic blend 5w-30.
I also treated it with a can of RESTORE for 8cyl. engines.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
yesterday and the manual is better because it tells you to remove old filter first.

---------- Post added at 01:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 AM ----------

And start with 5 if you put a whole 6 in you will overfill 4*4 or not. In fact why does 4wd play a role in oil quantity? filter difference is not that big.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yesterday and the manual is better because it tells you to remove old filter first.

---------- Post added at 01:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 AM ----------

And start with 5 if you put a whole 6 in you will overfill 4*4 or not. In fact why does 4wd play a role in oil quantity? filter difference is not that big.

:shrug: I just know that I always had to put in 6 qts in my 99 Denali but only 5 in 94 and 95 obs trucks that were both 2wd. Of course, neither one of those were vortec so possibly that was the difference rather than the 2wd vs 4wd. Either way the owners manual should say :waytogo:

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) Remove your drain plug, if you dont know where it is I will take a picture for you.
2) Remove your old oil filter. (I like to do this b/c it gives you ample time for the oil to drain out) Look at old filter to make sure there is still a black rubber circle (gasket) around it. Pull out new filter. Take your finger rub it around the old oil filter's black rubber circle and with that same oily finger do it to your new oil filter.
3) Install new filter and make sure it is pretty tight by hand. If your a weak give it one good half turn with a wrench.
4) Re-install the oil drain plug, give it a good half tight turn. YOU NEVER want to over tighten your drain plug.
5) Remove the oil cap on on top of the motor and put in 5 quarts of whatever 5w-30 oil you choose. Since your saving money by doing it yourself it is perfect time to upgrade to better oil like a syn blend or full syn.
6) Start your truck let it fun for a minute and then turn it off.
7) Pull the dip stick and clean it off with a rag
8) Re install dip stick all the way in and then pull it out...read the dip stick nd add oil as follows.

GM requires 5qts so 5qts is enough for your truck! If it is more ad little by little bc it is a PITA to remove excess overfill oil.

If you want I can snap a few pics for ya!

Congrts...on trying to be handy...that is where most of us started and even moved on to bigger and better things!

Just out of curiosity what were the always recommending on your truck?

OP
OP
T

tedward

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks foreverfalcon! I cant remeber what they said last time, but I do remember someone complaining about they forgot to put in a new air filter. So I figure its time to learn how to do this! They charge me 30 bucks at Pepboys for the oil change. Also, I have never used synthetic oil on my tahoe. Is it safe to switch from coventional to synthetic? And I'm not sure where the screw is to let the oil out. I appreciate the time and info on all of this. Thanks guys!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
the big bolt on the very bottom of that big bowl on bottom of engine. synthetic is fine but on high mileage engines you may notice a slightly lower oil pressure then before but should still be fine. I use Mobile1 synthetic 5w-30 at 240k miles.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NP! The only way to dump the oil out of the cooler is to elevate the front end! Old oil in the cooler really won't kill ya!

O man air filters are easy there is a black box on the passenger side hooked up to the fender...pull back the clips...there is your air filter...quick and easy!

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Yes it is always good to UPGRADE the type of oil you use! Your engine, seals and wallet will love you. Either go with Valvoline or Mobil 1 since they are the only lab tested, trailed and approved oils. I use both...think they are great. Get yourself a good oil filter too. I swam by fram tough guard the silver one. I change my oil every 5k bc I go with a full synthetic. If you go with a blend or high mileage then do it every 4k.

If your really motivated about doing your own wrenching go to SEARS and pick up the 100pc tool kit the have for like 100 bucks and its on sale at times for cheaper. EVERYTHING you need minus a C clamp to do most maintence! and upgrade

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52