HVAC Module in Power Saver Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wr3ckit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 Tahoe LT

I have been searching for info on this but everything keeps leading me to the "battery saver mode" msg that pops up on the cluster which isn't my problem. That msg has never popped up ever.

The only real problems I have been having up until this point is the infamous "coolant below regulating temp" code. I know it's either the coolant temp sensor or thermostat or a mixture of both and during only the winter months the low beam headlights cut out when I start a drive at night. Usually, a cycle of the key will make them come back on. I run l.e.d. bulbs and I do have a short to ground code for the right headlight but when testing wires everything checks out fine, so I chalk it up to a bad bulb. And in 3 different instances the alt would quit charging. The first time I replaced the alt but I figured out for the second and third time I just unhooked the battery and it started charging again. After the third time I haven't had an issue with charging.

The problem I am having now is the ac has quit working. When I hook the scanner to it to look into the HVAC module I noticed that it says the HVAC module is in power saving mode. Alt is putting out 13.5 to 14 volts. I have tried going through and erasing codes and unhooking the battery and letting it set for 30 min to an hr hoping for a reset. I'm at a loss as to where to go next.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Have you had your battery bench tested (out of the truck and on a battery power load tester, and not the in-the-truck testing nonsense)? I would be sure that your battery is good, before any further troubleshooting.

Other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.