I have an issue, need some help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after several weeks of not driving my Tahoe I broke down and brought it to the Dealer. Had pretty much everything looked at. Seems to be my remote starter is the culprit. So my project for the weekend is to remove the remote starter.
Once I get this all sorted out I'll be doing my drop and other mods.

Thanks for the help fellas, I appreciate it.

TheBeast99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahhh yet another reason i don't think remote starters are the greatest thing in the world :)

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, think of it like this. Mind you I used to live in MA (35+yrs), this is a true story ;)
Its been snowing out all day and night and you get a call to go into work at 3AM. You get up hit the switch get ready and walk out to your truck and its warm and cleaned off because you turned the defrost on, plus its already warmed up so you can get in and go.
Then you're at work for the next 36hrs during this lovely snow storm and when it finally breaks you get the word you're able to go home, hit the switch while your changing, go punch out and vwalla, your truck is clean and warm. If you havent had one, they arent the greatest. When you have one though, whether its hot or cold, they are great.
One thing I would suggest, get one installed by a licensed dealer, not your mechanic, lol.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just put a switch on it. Turn it off when you don't need it and turn it on in cold weather when you are driving everyday.

That would give you the best of both worlds. :)

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know I can always count on you for these great ideas.
I dont live in MA anymore, NC now.

How though?
You are talkin to the most electonically retarded person on the planet.
Seriously

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
Well have it so the switch, when off pulls absolutely no power from the remote starter. And when on, the device can be on or off.
Having the switch is just like a protection so that it can be FULLY off if wanted during the summer or when your not using it.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know I can always count on you for these great ideas.
I dont live in MA anymore, NC now.

How though?
You are talkin to the most electonically retarded person on the planet.
Seriously

Locate the control box. It is probably under the dash on the drivers side. There should be one wire with a "in line fuse". Cut the wire up stream of the fuse and hook the two cut wires to a toggle switch and mount it to the bottom of the dash. It can be out of sight for that matter. You won't be switching it very often. Radio Shack has lots of switches to choose from.

That will cut the power to the RF receiver and should take care of your problem. :)

1999Yuk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Take it to a local installer and have him install the switch.
One other suggestion, if you have interior courtesy lamp delay, make sure it is cycling off. I found mine staying on and after several days of not cycling off I had a dead battery.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it.
After thinking long and hard, I decided to pull it all out and start over.
This time I'm going to go with a quality starter system and have it installed through a reputable dealer/installer, not saying my machanic wasnt capable but we had issues with it before, I think its just the quality of the system.

Any recommendations for a simple yet effective remote starter?
Thanks

woodman300

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
just curious but what type of work do you do? i work for the ladwp and we too get calls at all hours during bad weather. the only difference is that our bad weather isn't always so bad. don't really need remote start to warm up here in los angeles.