I need an answer to a GM re-built transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HK-DEMON-

Reaction score
Can I get any GM representative to answer this question please.What constitutes a rebuilt transmission? What new parts are installed in the GM re-built tranny?

So the day before yesterday my transmission went out, no reverse, 1st or 3rd gear. I had to take it to the shop where I will be charged almost $3000 :jawdrop: Being its the only vehicle I have, I HAD to have it fixed ASAP, but I don't know if the shop took advantage of that or not. There are about 8 parts which will be replaced brand spanking new, but to me it seems like an exaggerated price.

So, after dropping off my Hoe that day at the shop I had time to browse around and ask for pricing, (I know what you guys are thinking but I had no choice I had to do it quick), and found out that a GM re-manufactured tanny was going to cost me $1800+labor+tax, amounting to around $2800, almost the same amount the shop is charging me now. I went back to the shop and explained to the manager why was I getting charged so much, and he replied because I was buying "custom rebuilt transmission", and what the GM dealers usually do is contract a shop to do the same his shop is doing but only replacing 2 new parts, which are the torque converter and the clutch kit that constitutes a "rebuilt transmission" but he's calling mine a "custom rebuilt transmission".

Is this true? or is this *** pulling my strings! I'm so fucken pissed with myself and at this damn shop. I'm thinking I could've gotten an almost "NEW" transmission for $2800. Did I **** up? or let me re-phrase that, I ****** up huh?

donut slayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a GM rep, but to me that price is steep. About $1800 is the going rate here in NW Florida for a trans rebuild. Thats OTD price.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
gm trannys are torn down, and all clutch material , seals, bushing, orings, are replaced and will include improvements to current time when rebuilt. that includes hard parts that typically are brought up and covered in the tsb for the tranny.

donut slayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gm trannys are torn down, and all clutch material , seals, bushing, orings, are replaced and will include improvements to current time when rebuilt. that includes hard parts that typically are brought up and covered in the tsb for the tranny.

well.......that would seem to me to be more than 2 parts.

OP
OP
HK-DEMON-

HK-DEMON-

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies. Well I guess it seems to me I really got F****D. This fucken A-hole lied to me and said it was only 2 parts that were actually "new"

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

I just wish I could get this off of GM and be able to print it out and show it to him face to face, and let him know what a dick he is.

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
He might have been just reffering to hard metal parts like planetary or nutshell or something in that context from him. Ask for a list of parts used as part of the invoice.

OP
OP
HK-DEMON-

HK-DEMON-

Reaction score
He might have been just reffering to hard metal parts like planetary or nutshell or something in that context from him. Ask for a list of parts used as part of the invoice.

Here's the parts list I was charged for:

74007ECF REBUILD KIT $392.97
4L-1 TORQUE CONVERTER $334.22
A74654A LOW ROLLER CLUTCH $47.23
D74624D HARDENED SUN SHELL $110.48
A74658B FORWARD CLUTCH SPRAG $115.73
A74741G FORWARD ACCUMULATOR PISTON $16.06
A74507EK BOOST VALVE $60.50
S74741QAK TCC REGULATOR VALVE W/SLEEVE $86.28
D74531CK PUMP ROTOR KIT $138.40
34435A PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID $111.54
ATF12 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID $59.16

A grand TOTAL of $1472.57 and this excludes the labor price. The labor price alone was $1440.04

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
parts price does not add up correctly but still those prices for kit, pump, converter are high, you did get some upgraded hard parts tho which is good. labor is high too.

brassknucklemafia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, did you get any perf parts? cuz i had my trans rebuilt just a few months ago, full tear down, and rebuild, and i was out the door for around 800$ parts and labor and they had to replace ALL my internals. plus that also included an oversized trans cooler, and corvette servo as well. so to me it sounds like you seriously got hosed brother. hate to say it but they saw your wallet coming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawkeye1