I need to change cooler lines. Need Advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08mericxldenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys like the tittle says I need to change my trans cooler lines since they are leaking a little bit. Im going to change all of them while im there to prevent future leakings. Ive been reading and it seems a job I could do but have a couple questions to those who've done it.

When I disconnect both lines from transmission does it leak a lot?

Is there a best location to start disconnecting in order to the fluid to be contained in a pan before the lines attached to transmission?i was thinking in disconnecting the little cooler in the front and then the radiator and last the transmission

After connecting all lines do I need to bleed lines in any way or do I just need to put transmission fluid to level?

Thank you all in advance for any help

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have read that quite a bit of DEX 6 will leak.....not only from the transmission, but from the radiator too.

One of my lines has already been replaced, but the other one is leaking pretty bad.

My truck is at 68,000 miles now......so I'm going evac the DEX6 before I remove the trans cooler lines. Since the pan will be empty I will drop that and replace the trans pan filter too.

I'm also going to do the front and rear diff fluids since I'm under there too

OP
OP

08mericxldenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah I have read that quite a bit of DEX 6 will leak.....not only from the transmission, but from the radiator too.

One of my lines has already been replaced, but the other one is leaking pretty bad.

My truck is at 68,000 miles now......so I'm going evac the DEX6 before I remove the trans cooler lines. Since the pan will be empty I will drop that and replace the trans pan filter too.

I'm also going to do the front and rear diff fluids since I'm under there too

Thanks Man. I just changed the front differential and transfer case fluid on mine. I got my truck not a long time ago and im trying to fix all the things that I know are bad and im also doing maintenance stuff.

jstutz101

Reaction score
I have a 07 Chevy Silverado that had the same issue. Instead of replacing the OEM lines my local mechanic cut out the "splice" where it was leaking and installed a small section of runner hose with hose clamps. I thought that was genius. That was 5 years ago and haven't had a issue.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I changed the lower line yesterday.......having small'ish hands and the right tools.....Not to bad.

I evacuated the DEX6 through the dipstick first thing so I would not make a mess in the driveway and not get a bath when I pulled the transpan

The only PITA was getting the line out and getting the new one back in.

All in all it took me 4 hours, but I also removed the trans pan to replace the filter and gasket. Being that I took my time, it was drama free, no leaks and nothing broken.

If you have the tools......the sweat labor is better then dealership labor cost.

Parts-

Trans cooler line - $25 on Amazon w/free shipping (Prime membership)
DEX6 - $22 gal on Amazon w/ free shipping (again, Prime) / bought 2 gals
Trans filter kit w/ rubber gasket - $19 after discount AutoZone

OP
OP

08mericxldenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 07 Chevy Silverado that had the same issue. Instead of replacing the OEM lines my local mechanic cut out the "splice" where it was leaking and installed a small section of runner hose with hose clamps. I thought that was genius. That was 5 years ago and haven't had a issue.

Thanks that's what I was thinking to do but once I checked the lines and noticed the 3 of them were leaking I was like crap im just going to replace them all

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Well I changed the lower line yesterday.......having small'ish hands and the right tools.....Not to bad.

I evacuated the DEX6 through the dipstick first thing so I would not make a mess in the driveway and not get a bath when I pulled the transpan

The only PITA was getting the line out and getting the new one back in.

All in all it took me 4 hours, but I also removed the trans pan to replace the filter and gasket. Being that I took my time, it was drama free, no leaks and nothing broken.

If you have the tools......the sweat labor is better then dealership labor cost.

Parts-

Trans cooler line - $25 on Amazon w/free shipping (Prime membership)
DEX6 - $22 gal on Amazon w/ free shipping (again, Prime) / bought 2 gals
Trans filter kit w/ rubber gasket - $19 after discount AutoZone

How did you get the fluid thru the dipstick?

You are right sweat labor is better and I always do whatever I can on my car. Don't have a lift or anything like that but I do small stuff like this.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks that's what I was thinking to do but once I checked the lines and noticed the 3 of them were leaking I was like crap im just going to replace them all

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

How did you get the fluid thru the dipstick?

You are right sweat labor is better and I always do whatever I can on my car. Don't have a lift or anything like that but I do small stuff like this.

To recover the fluid through the dipstick tube you remove the trans fluid dipstick and use a tool like this:

See the link below for the product and picture

Here is the link for it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SR7TC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The kit comes with this super stiff plastic line; they say there is 5ft of it which is PITA when you have the front of the truck lifted up. I got some vinyl line from Lowe's (I actually had it on hand for other projects) and adapted it to work.

That will get most of the fluid out. Then I dropped the pan down in the front and sucked the rest out. The trans filter holds about another .5 - 1 quart of fluid too.

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Another note, the DEX 6 I got was OEM AC Delco fluid

See here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055EALW8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm thinking of doing the same.

I've had factory lines leak before but never had the cheaper hose alternative let me down yet.

Just some barbed adapters and high pressure hydraulic hose and you're set.

From what I understand the factory lines all seem to leak from the crimps where the rubber meets the steel.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah on my S10 I just cut the line and used hi pressure rubber hose and some SS clamps too. It doesn't leak

BUT with the Tahoe being my wifes daily I just opted to replace the part ....should be good for another 7 years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52