I think it's bearing time!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dropmech

dropmech

Puddle Pirate
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'l be changing a hub assembly. Wonder if I should just go ahead and change them both while I'm at it? I'm finding two shipped for around $150-$160. SHould I jump?

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's recommended that you change both at the same time, but not necessary. IMO, if you have the time and money to do both, go for it. They're pretty easy to do on our trucks, so it shouldn't take too long.

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
change it!! I just changed my bad drivers side one and I didn't realize how much of a difference a good hub assembly made!
I bought mine from NAPA for like $130 and I also got a rotor since mine was pitted to hell but if you are finding 2 for $150-$160 jump on it
make sure it has ABS
and also a little tip.. buy another 34mm hub nut.. apparently its only a one time use so once you take your old one off put the new one on

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a Haynes (or Chilton) manual, it has step by step instructions in it. If you don't, it's pretty straight forward. I can help if you need me to. Just pop the wheel off, remove the caliper (2 bolts), Caliper bracket (2 bolts), slide the rotor off, pull the ABS sensor out and take off the assembly (3 bolts in the back). Replace in reverse order.

Hub bearing assembly bolts and ABS sensor:

Hubbols.gif

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a big difference if it's 4WD? Is it just a matter of slipping the hub off the drive front drive shaft splines? Almost seems too easy. Yes, don't have a manual to look at at the moment.

TnTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for 4wd models you have one extra nut to remove and thats the big 34mm nut that screws onto the driveshaft, trust me you will notice it

ATLTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well looks like I'll be working on this today. I need to get that 34mm, I only have up too a 30. Also make sure that you have a breaker bar on hand if you are doing it yourself with no air tools and a nice extension if you are working on the 4x4 models.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chevy100