Idea On Cost To Replace 5.3 Engine? 2015 Yukon XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BringTheNoise

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a 2015 GMC Yukon XL with 207k miles and drove it four times for less than 100 miles and the check engine light started flashing last Tuesday night. It was poring down rain and I was headed up about an incline on i75. The check engine light started flashing and I didn’t notice anything different in the way the car was driving. I pulled over into a gas station and plugged in my ODB reader. No Check engine light remained on but the reader showed a P0307 fault for a misfire in cylinder 7. Drove it another mile home and it was pouring rain. I was headed down an incline and had it in the RWD/4 wd flex mode where it’ll switch in and out of. It was lurching and shaking when I slowed down. I put it in park and the engine was sputtering. I shut it off and called this mechanic that I had booked to replace the struts and shocks. I told him what was going on and he said to just drive it to the shop about four or five miles away. The car drove rough but wasn’t terrible and seemed better at 40 plus mph of less noticeable.

The mechanic couldn’t get to it until Friday and pulled the spatk plug and it was soaked in fuel. I’m my head I figured maybe the injector stuck but I’m not a mechanic in the slightest degree. I brought new spark plugs and wires and same constant misfire. He did a compression test and it was at 0 psi in #7. He said I need a motor as with 207k he said it’s not worth trying to tear apart And fix.

I’m really upset at myself for not getting it checked out more thorough. I work at a dealership and took it on trade in. I always liked these and my I wanted something that looked a little fresher then my 2006 Infiniti. The used car manager said I could have one of the mechanics check it out before I bought it as he was going to charge me $381 for an inspection through the dealership. I went to a mechanic that had that same generation Yukon and figured he’d be the best to check it out. I paid him $50 to do a quick inspection. He said I needed to replace shocks and struts but it seemed solid otherwise. I signed an As Is form and know I’m SOL but the used car manager is a “friend” and I’ve worked at the dealership 13 years so I thought I’d at least let him know what happened. He shamed me and told me I was on my own. I asked if he could let me trade it towards something else and told me he wouldn’t give me anything unless I replaced the motor. I’ve sold many of cars that blew up soon after the owner bought it even as Id and we always either took back the car or fixed it or let them buy something else. I know I’m not owed anything but I’m just really hurt that I’m just getting the middle finger here.

But I don’t know what to do and kind of just want to fold this terrible hand before I lose more and more money. I don’t think I could ever trust this car even if I put a new motor in it. Im just worried the transmission will go next. How much should I expect to pay to replace the motor?

Someone told me to take it to the gmc dealer and get a legit diagnosis but I really don’t want to just keep losing money when I’ve realized that 207k miles just is more the. Most cars last. I redid all the wheels and made it look really good but I should have checked it out further before going that. I’ve got a good looking 3 ton paper weight I guess

Thank you for reading and I value and appreciate any knowledge and/or advice here.

Attachments

• 4A44DF87-D31A-43EE-9033-563C7A07E100.jpeg
    4A44DF87-D31A-43EE-9033-563C7A07E100.jpeg
    531.8 KB · Views: 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevenstephenson