Idle problem with Accel coil install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05goatls2

Reaction score
Hey guys, just installed a new accell coil into my truck. When I was performing a tune up last week I noticed the plug connection going to the distributor was very corroded so i decided to replace the coil. upon replacing the coil and starting the truck it idles very low, and is rough.... then it jumps up to about 1200rpm and the service engine light comes on. Obviously it's the coil. I did remove the distributor cap to get better access to the bolts for the old coil. Also note I had to dremel the brackets off the coil and dremel them down to fit the new coil. What could be causing this? I also smell that the truck is running rich. When I did the tune up I replaced cap and rotor, plugs and wires.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plug wires are all setup right and not crossed?? I have a full Accel ignition system and mine idles fine.

OP
OP
05goatls2

05goatls2

Reaction score
The plug wires are all setup right and not crossed?? I have a full Accel ignition system and mine idles fine.

i didn't unplug anything except for the plug that goes to the distributor, the two plugs that go into the coil, and I did have to take off the cap to get to the bolts holding the coil down. Maybe I bumped the rotor?

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

I say your coil spark is leaking out causing continuous minor misfires.

Sorry for the double post, what does that mean?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem but with a MSD coil.
Had to modify the cap and cover to fit it.

Replaced cap and cover, made sure to not remove as mutch material and all went well..

Make shure the metal ground strap is seated completly into the plug.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
i didn't unplug anything except for the plug that goes to the distributor, the two plugs that go into the coil, and I did have to take off the cap to get to the bolts holding the coil down. Maybe I bumped the rotor?

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Sorry for the double post, what does that mean?

Don't ever worry about multiple post's that is the way the forum software operates.

High voltage with out enough dielectric insulation around it can escape and not follow it's intended path. Sometime easy to see at night with no lights around. You would see arcing. in day light you would see carbon tracking on the body. If you were grinding the plastic body you might of went to far and created a weak point.

OP
OP
05goatls2

05goatls2

Reaction score
Maybe I didn't install it correctly?? It didn't come with instructions. It had these two metal tetris type things which I wasn't sure what they do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EngineGuy