If you didnt have a Yukon/Suburban/Escalade, what would be your next choice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saltydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the last few weeks I have had the itch for a new rig. I get like this every few years, I know I have issues :p

Anyhow, I have been looking at the Jeep GW and W. I have driven the GW with 6.4 and that is a hoot to drive, but damn the MPG is dismal. I drove the GW with ** 3.0 510hp and that is much more fitting, very very smooth and quiet, I still can't believe how smooth it is, the power is good and the throttle mapping is pretty good, and plenty of power without having to spool up the turbos, but give it a bit more and she moves:oops: Anyhow they did a great job with that powertrain.

I also drove the W with standard output 3.0 and honestly, there is not much difference in everyday driving from the **.

The air ride GW is so smooth, like wow! And the non-Air ride W is smoother than our Yukon.

The interior is where the GW/W's advantages are in comparison to the competition. Material quality is on par or better in some cases.

Exterior is subjective in styling, it is just ok to me and the GM's triplets look better.

The GW is competing with an Escalade or Navigator and the W is competing with a Yukon SLT or Tahoe LT/RST. From what I can tell, they don't make a W without leather seating, so for some buyers that will be a negative.

Would I buy one right now? Well, that would depend, as I don't see much of an advantage to what we currently have and the current cost of GW/W's is too high for a Jeep product. With the current economics, I don't feel it is a great idea to spend 90-100k on a new Anything. Now if something happened to our Yukon, I would really look at the GW/W but I would also look at a Yukon Denali. I really want ACC in our next family rig.

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
We shopped a Platinum Expedition Max, Navigator L and Wagoneer L. Ultimately, we ended up with a Suburban 3500 because I trust the Vortec 6.0 over the twin-turbo 6’s. They seem like great engines but slightly concerned with longevity. The Ford issue is the dumb tablet screen, Lincoln and Jeep was price + max towing was hard to find.

Saltydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We shopped a Platinum Expedition Max, Navigator L and Wagoneer L. Ultimately, we ended up with a Suburban 3500 because I trust the Vortec 6.0 over the twin-turbo 6’s. They seem like great engines but slightly concerned with longevity. The Ford issue is the dumb tablet screen, Lincoln and Jeep was price + max towing was hard to find.
You can't go wrong with a 6.0 those engines are powerful and will run forever!

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I shopped the GW and W when I bought my Rivian. The interior was nice, I will give you that one.

But at the end of the day, I just dont trust MOPAR.
I also dont trust GM
I also dont trust FoMoCo

It says a lot that I trust a new car manufacture, Rivian, more than I trust the big 3.

It was also 30k more than what I paid on my Rivian, so that was another factor.

I was seriously considering a Toyota Sequoia and the Infinity QX80, but the warranty on the Rivian, and the price of Toy/Infi being grossly over what I paid on the Rivian.

I was seriously close to buying the Toy and Infi thou. The Infi was 91k, which is 17k more than the Rivian. The Toyo was 86k which is 12k more than the Rivian.

I am also glad I did not buy a Toyo, they are having A LOT of engine problems as of late.

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with a 6.0 those engines are powerful and will run forever!
It’s awesome. I really can only complain about the gas mileage which is where these new 6’s seem to do a lot better. I still question why more of these big trucks/SUVs have not gone hybrid. Makes perfect sense: Lowers the torque band when hauling and improves mpg enough that these big hogs start to get make more sense for day-to-day. For vehicles with start-stop, makes them SO much more smooth. The Admiral drives a hybrid and it’s almost a game to try and keep the engine off for as long as possible lol.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have checked out alot of vehicles. Honestly Id probably be in a Silverado or a Lexus LX whatever...

Notable mentions:
1.GW and W Cheap/Jeep, the Mcintosh system is epic though. Interior is ok, the comfort is very on par with just another Stelantis product. The seating position is made for people shorter than 6' Yes it adjusts but the overall layout is made for 5'-10 to 5' area I believe.
2.The Infinity is nice, just not worth the price tag and its interior is limiting also. I am just not an infinity guy.
3.Audi Q7 is a decent alternative, good ride and sporty fun. But not rugged for towing.
4.Lincoln Navigator would be an option if they offered it with the 5.0 motor.

Reaction score
Hmm. I ran across the current truck ( 02 2500 XL 6.0 ), but I was really looking for a 2005/2006 BMW E53 X5 4.8is. The far end of the spectrum away from the XL, but the XL is the devil I know.

umar96

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I really like the look of the Navigator but it just doesn't ride as well as a Denali. Anyone share the same experience or did I just test drive a bad Navigator?

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Direct replacement: 2025 Expedition

I would also consider the following if I wanted to downsize a bit:
1. 2024 Lexus GX550
2. 2025 Explorer ST

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HandyHeather