Ignition Coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Echo

Reaction score
I'm doing a 6.0 swap on my 02 Tahoe and i want to use the 5.3 ignition coils, but im not sure if they're compatible with the 6.0. Its an L59 to LQ9 swap, i just cant seem to find any information regarding compatibility. I'd have no problem using the 6.0 coils if half of them didn't get broken when they shipped the engine.

If they aren't compatible, at the very least, i'd like to upgrade to a better set of coils. I'm hearing mixxed reviews about MSD coils, so I'm not sure what to look for. Any suggestions?

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a 6.0 swap on my 02 Tahoe and i want to use the 5.3 ignition coils, but im not sure if they're compatible with the 6.0. Its an L59 to LQ9 swap, i just cant seem to find any information regarding compatibility. I'd have no problem using the 6.0 coils if half of them didn't get broken when they shipped the engine.

If they aren't compatible, at the very least, i'd like to upgrade to a better set of coils. I'm hearing mixxed reviews about MSD coils, so I'm not sure what to look for. Any suggestions?
Personally, from past experience, MSD is not a quality product anymore.

Edelbrock makes a Gen III & Gen IV LS ( '97 to 2013 )

Last edited:

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lil bit late here, but.......... Stick with stock coils. You likely won't upgrade your engine to the point that you need upgraded coils. The coils will handle even more than the drivers in the PCM that feed the coils will, so you don't need to worry about spark output. You'd be going to some aftermarket ignition system anyway by that point. Get a good set of plugs and wires and your ignition system is good to go. This is one area most won't ever need to upgrade on a daily driver, or even a weekend toy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shredd_guy