Installing a Gauge Where OnStar Used to be

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txbradmetcalf

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I want to install a standalone transmission temperature gauge where my useless OnStar buttons are. Has anyone done this before? I am curious what you used to mount the gauge to. Did GM ever have a flat plate that went there in place of the cubby or OnStar cluster? I am also open to seeing how ya'll mounted gauges in other places as well. Thank you!IMG_7449.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to install a standalone transmission temperature gauge where my useless OnStar buttons are. Has anyone done this before? I am curious what you used to mount the gauge to. Did GM ever have a flat plate that went there in place of the cubby or OnStar cluster? I am also open to seeing how ya'll mounted gauges in other places as well. Thank you!View attachment 441276
normally the transmission temp gauge is easily added to the cluster, the sensor is there already in all of the transmissions, just need to enable it in the cluster eprom
tran.JPG

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
normally the transmission temp gauge is easily added to the cluster, the sensor is there already in all of the transmissions, just need to enable it in the cluster eprom
View attachment 441279
Looks like the OP’s pic is of a pre 2003 rig. I was under the impression on the pre 2003 rigs with the older interior and analog electrical system that if the cluster didn’t have a transmission temp gauge out of the factory, that it couldn’t be added afterwards and that adding the transmission temp gauge to a cluster that didn’t have it originally only worked on the 2003-2006 clusters. But I could be misinformed….. lol

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2001 works with an HD cluster. The one problem that I had that it took 3 of those HD clusters to find one that had the correct speedometer tables (?) in its eeprom.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the OP’s pic is of a pre 2003 rig. I was under the impression on the pre 2003 rigs with the older interior and analog electrical system that if the cluster didn’t have a transmission temp gauge out of the factory, that it couldn’t be added afterwards and that adding the transmission temp gauge to a cluster that didn’t have it originally only worked on the 2003-2006 clusters. But I could be misinformed….. lol
added it to my 00 no problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agm90

Latest posts