Instrument Cluster Light Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
withac

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here I photoshopped what it would look like: Took 2 mins. os its not perfect, just to get an idea.

dash.jpg

:)

Doesn't look as cool as I thought it might

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

New bulbs/LEDs have to be soldered into place of the stock ones. They don't use the twist lock type bulbs like the IP. I used single LEDs with a 5K ohm resistor on each:
DSC_2080.jpg

Sweeeeeeet

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Awesome! I ordered blue ones last night, but I found out that the superbrightleds.com site also sells the twist locks for the bulbs so I didn't have to make a separate order and pay extra shipping. :)

Thought that might be helpful for anyone wanting to try this. And I'll gladly post my pics once they're installed.

MASS-HOE'Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've read so far (there's a huge thread on this over on gmfs)from '00-'03 uses the 194 bulbs then '03+ uses the #74 bulbs but are the twist locks the same for them, the pics on the bulb sites don't really show the bottom of the bulb too well... Looks like I might have to borrow some resistors from work, blue dash nd green a/c isn't gunna look right

OP
OP
withac

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! I ordered blue ones last night, but I found out that the superbrightleds.com site also sells the twist locks for the bulbs so I didn't have to make a separate order and pay extra shipping. :)

Thought that might be helpful for anyone wanting to try this. And I'll gladly post my pics once they're installed.

Makes sense if they sell the led bulbs that they'd carry the twist locks for them. Wish I'd thought to look when I bought mine.

yukonjacks

A Vegitative State
Reaction score
What viewing angle on the dash leds

Okay, I didn't figure this out by myself, someone at that “other site” posted up and I followed the directions. Since I haven’t seen it here I figured it wouldn’t hurt to post up. I’ve got a 2000. I don’t know models well enough to know what years this will work on but I’m sure somebody does.

You can change the color of the lights in your display cheap and easy without having to replace the whole cluster.

Requirements.
- Flat Head Screw Driver.
- 7MM Socket.
- 6 Bulbs.
- 6 Light Bulb Housings.

What To Order.
- Order 6 WLED-x4 LED bulb
12VDC 4-LED Wedge Base Bulb (194/168 type)
Select LED Color.

(They are about ¾ of the way down the page.)

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...ct=CAR&keywords=&cart_id=8054561.29175&next=0

- Order 6 Light Bulb Housings. Lampholder Twistlock for T3-1/4 Wedgebase lamps (555,etc) 24-8767 this is the black plastic twistlock plastic piece that twists into a circuit board and the lamp fits into

http://bayareaamusements.com/Mercha...Code=LB-T3T&Category_Code=LB&Product_Count=23

1) Tilt your steering wheel all the way down.
2) Turn on your truck and put your gear all the way down to first gear. Then turn truck off.
3) Use your fingers and wedge out the dash trim, it should just come out.
4) Use a socket and remove all 4 bolts holding on the gauge cluster.
5) Unplug the wire attachment that you will see on the backside of the cluster.
6) Remove the black covering of the gauge cluster that's on the backside, use a flat head screw driver. (see pic of black tabs on side)
7) You will see 6 gray light bulbs, twist to remove them and replace them with the new ones. (I can only see 5 large ones in the pic, I think I might have clipped the 6th.)
8) Reinstall the whole cluster as you removed it, then your done!

I can't find my after pics but they look lighter in the pics. They display fairly dark but I like it.

Here are some pictures with a before from my '** and some afters from whoever I got the write up from after he installed blue LED's as well as some red LED's (not mine)

There are a couple different ones there, what viewing angle is needed

yukonjacks

A Vegitative State
Reaction score
Got my blue bulbs and my white led's for the puddle lights and interior on Saturday, and put them in Sunday, had to modify my back cover on the housing to match my twist locks, I will take some pics tonight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mako671