Intakes - Sceptre vs K&N

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sir Lapalot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm about to grab an intake, because I'm looking to to do a tune but I suppose it makes sense to do the intake before that.

I'm also about to drop a Magnaflow in, so I don't wanna ball TOO ******* the intake, so I was looking at Summit's site and they have the Sceptre for $150 and a K&N (57 series, I think) for $209.

I think I remember reading somewhere on here that there was another series of K&N offered, but can't remember whether the 57 was the better or worse of the two and I can't remember the name of the thread.
Anyone have experience with either?

Between the exhaust, intake, tune, and the broken manifold bolts I gotta get fixed, it's a bunch of cash I have to drop all at once, so I'm of course looking to spend less where possible...but don't mind spending a little extra as long as it's warranted.

kschumake83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the airaid Jr kit, it is $152 on amazon and it uses your factory air box so you will get cold air from the fender not hot air from the engine bay. The tube will cut down on restrictions from the baffles but yet still pull cold air and in my opinion would be the best bet in your price range. I just picked up a volant, only reason was because it was $75 used and it has a full box around the filter and sucks most of its air from the fender and bumper area.

OP
OP
S

Sir Lapalot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting, when I read 'Air Raid' on other posts it sounded like it was a 350-400 intake. I'll def check it out, thanks!

The 'ER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intakes - Sceptre vs K&N

Specter is the same as K&N and I have one on the truck and the car. Love both. Save the cash and go specter and add a little bling.

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love my airaid jr!

If you are dead set on an open intake, don't waste your money on the K&N brand, get the spectre if you like that style. K&N is the "genericized trademark" of intakes...and sadly they usually perform worse than the factory and other leading name brands. I will agree that open intakes look cool.

txperformance

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had Spectre cold air intake's on a few of my vehicles, they are good intakes. They are cheaper in price but it's actually a quality system, good fit, good materials, good clamps, good instructions, good filters... i would never waste money on a K&N system when the Spectre is the exact same thing for half the price. I would definitely recommend it unless you're just dead set on getting a name brand.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intakes - Sceptre vs K&N

Get the airaid Jr kit, it is $152 on amazon and it uses your factory air box so you will get cold air from the fender not hot air from the engine bay. The tube will cut down on restrictions from the baffles but yet still pull cold air and in my opinion would be the best bet in your price range. I just picked up a volant, only reason was because it was $75 used and it has a full box around the filter and sucks most of its air from the fender and bumper area.

X2. I just ordered one for my Esky. It's the cai to go with.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

Interesting, when I read 'Air Raid' on other posts it sounded like it was a 350-400 intake. I'll def check it out, thanks!

The full kit is that much. The Airaid Jr kit is just the modular intake tube with a drop in filter vs. replacing the stock air box with a performance cone filter w/ heat shield.

Tahoebigdog03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of buying a new CAI so this post is a good read. Thanks guys

OP
OP
S

Sir Lapalot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1) Thanks everyone for their input, I'm ordering the Air Raid Jr kit. I quite prefer a good 'look' so my first choice is the cone...but given the end result I want out of the truck I figure I'd rather have the performance over looks (since it's a driver/utility truck).

2) I feel like an idiot for spelling 'Specter' wrong on the topic name. I hate it when people do that, yet here I've done it myself.
I'm almost not worthy....! lol

One of these days I'll post a pic of the truck up. Pretty much stock outside of the wheels and big brake kit, but I just plasti-dipped the front bumper and grille in black and I'm not sure if I like the look (being on a white Z71). I was hoping the look would 'grow' on me, but it hasn't grown quite as quick as I'd like, so I may re-do it in white plasti-dip before I go posting pics.

Actually...anyone had experience with plasti-dip being applied over plasti-dip?! I have no problem taking the old black stuff off first...but I did it to protect the front end anyway, so protection on top of protection can't be a bad thing, I'm guessing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925