Intermittent popping noise while driving (NOT TURNING)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dap1906

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
good afternoon, i'm new to the forum and i'm hoping someone can help with this problem. i'm hearing an intermittent popping noise when i'm driving my '02 Tahoe. it doesn't happen when i'm turning. i have no idea what it is. but i'm guessing it could be related to something in the suspension. i'm not an expert mechanic. but i have my reference manual and do a lot of my own repairs. if anyone could point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
describe the "popping sound" for instance when does it happen? going over bumps? level road? does it change with braking or accel? also post mileage and if it is 4x4 or 2x4

OP
OP
D

dap1906

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for responding. its got 170K miles and it's a 4x4. the popping happens intermittently when i'm driving on level ground, hills, bumps. speed doesn't matter. i think i've found the answer though. i've get a wiggle in the pass side front tire when it's in the air. so i'm guessing it's the wheel bearing. but i'm wondering why i didn't get the whining/grinding noise like i did on the driver side when that one went bad?

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok and yea most wheel bearings that i notice go bad have a whine or grinding noise but if it has play up or down id start there however most hub issues ive experienced gets worse with turning the wheel while moving

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate