Is Dealer Blowing Smoke Up My....?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Do you still have your old housings? If so, plug one of them in and see if it works or not. It doesn't have to be the one that was cracked/corroded and didn't work, plug the good one in and see if the "control modual" recognizes it

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There isn't any module that cares about the housings. The dealer is saying BS because going off their recommendation and reasoning, every time you replace a bulb of any sort, it would then have to be mated thru the module. I call BS. Like for like, aftermarket or not, it should work. The problem here is two fold.......the voltage to the bulb and a thief at the dealership. Find a trusted reputable shop and get the voltage problem fixed. What happens when you do a shunt and supply 12 volts to the bulb?

Last edited:

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not think to do that when I had everything apart.

I don’t need to tell you what a pain in the a&& it is to have to remove the air box to change the stupid bulb….
call me when you have to remove your inner fender and bumper cover to change a bulb...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just edited my post. I meant to say "there isn't any module that cares about the housings".
that's not necessarily true anymore, these new housings on the 2015+ have there own module inside and the whole housing is a complete light system.
and there are at least 3 different types, some are led, some are hid, and some are incandescent/hid/led and so on
on my 18 the housings are $2000 each, used ones are $900-1k each. I was able to upgrade mine luckily with some adapters to a higher wattage HID, the stock HID is only 25w and the bulbs are not sold anywhere but at the dealer and a couple places have them online.
as such I bought a couple spare bulbs to have on hand if one happens to go out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimxms