Is the tahoe and yukon rear applique (where the chevy rear bow tie is) different?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
back.jpg

Is the tahoe and yukon rear applique (where the chevy rear bow tie is) different? I was thinking about removing the rear bow tie and shaving mine, but I really like the yukon one better (if it's even different at all).. the edges look more rounded on the tahoe's applique where as the yukon looks like it has more defined edge's... are these two different pieces? Maybe someone with a yukon can post a pic of their rear tailgate and we can compare? :Handshake:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the only difference is Chevy's has two holes in it behind the bowtie that they use to center/level the bowtie at the factory where the Yukon does not so it's smooth. Other than that I think everything else is the same.

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is a ***** to swap the two, though. I bought a Yukon applique and had it painted and everything and decided not to do it because of the trouble. Some shops can do it but they have to have a tool to remove "safe-loc" bolts or something like that.

OP
OP
felixgun

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a ***** to swap the two, though. I bought a Yukon applique and had it painted and everything and decided not to do it because of the trouble. Some shops can do it but they have to have a tool to remove "safe-loc" bolts or something like that.

OH so it IS different? It seems like it'd be a direct replacement.. I hate when GM does stuff like that... So I guess i'll have to shave it then...

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

I believe the only difference is Chevy's has two holes in it behind the bowtie that they use to center/level the bowtie at the factory where the Yukon does not so it's smooth. Other than that I think everything else is the same.

Edge's on it don't look the same... yea I noticed when I pulled off my bow tie lol.. sucks!

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the only reason I have my billet bowtie on the rear is cuz of those stupid holes. Eventually I'll take care of those but if it's as hard as Zach says it is to swap out that panel I may just modify the existing panel back there to shave off the wholes. Wouldn't take much to do and would probably be easier than getting a special tool to do the swap or paying someone to do the swap.

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
It'll fit once you get the Tahoe one off...but getting the Tahoe one off without damaging it is next to impossible. And even then the bolts will still be stuck on since they're Safe-Loc or whatever it's called (I probably have it wrong) and a special tool is required to remove them.

I just went with taking the gold off the bowtie and left it chrome. I think it matches my chrome step pad well.

OP
OP
felixgun

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'll fit once you get the Tahoe one off...but getting the Tahoe one off without damaging it is next to impossible. And even then the bolts will still be stuck on since they're Safe-Loc or whatever it's called (I probably have it wrong) and a special tool is required to remove them.

I just went with taking the gold off the bowtie and left it chrome. I think it matches my chrome step pad well.

I would've blacked it out and left the chrome outline.. basically like mine but black in the middle instead of white :Handshake:

Chrome looks good too though!

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I used to have a Yukon applique on my Tahoe (ran $130 with paint and install) and that thing was literally one of the hardest things to install ever! I eventually got off the Tahoe one and reinstalled the Yukon one, which is a direct swap once you can get the stock one off.
I now just have a Tahoe applique w/o a bowtie and the holes filled in, then smoothed and painted.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...I now just have a Tahoe applique w/o a bowtie and the holes filled in, then smoothed and painted.

This method sound MUCH easier from what I've now learned in this thread about how hard the swap is! I could get everything smoothed and ready for paint in about 30 minutes in my garage. Sounds 10 times easier to me :D

red02chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the Yukon one on my tahoe and it wasn't a big deal at all. Of course I didn't care about salvaging the tahoe one. here's an up close picture of the yukon piece on my Tahoe

aefdf3a8-0781-816f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyRebel