Is this a good purchase??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inkedin1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Price seems to be in the ball park range of what they are going for, depending on what type of condition it is in. I just bought an 02 z71 last month. I am the third owner. It has never been wrecked (it checked out on both carfax and autocheck) and seems to have been maintained regularly. It had 176,000 on it when I purchased it and it still has the original tranny with only recommended maintenance done to it. I paid $5600 for it. It does not have the third row seat, but just about everything else. Stock wheels and tire size, etc. etc. The mileage was higher than I would have liked, but, I had been shopping for about four months and had looked at ones with from 115,000 and up (this one was the highest mileage I had looked at) and this was by far the best one I had come across in the $5500-$8000 price range. Good luck with your shopping, I know what a pain in the back side it can be!!!

ebxgsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks pretty nice. as others have said, look for evidence of any leaks to help your negotiations or decision not to buy.

i've always liked the Z71's the best.

OP
OP
E

El Padroni

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I checked out the truck yesterday. It had its bumps and bruises here and there but thats expected for a 10 year old truck. Some rust starting to show on the rear bumper. Paint can def benefit from a nice detail which its never had. The interior was equally decent. All electronics seem to function as they should with the exception of the oil temp gauge on the cluster. Owner assured me that the truck has never overheated. Then came the test drive. It drove well and the brakes felt like you def had to push them in quite in to stop. I know this varies by vehicle so it was just different than im accustomed to. Here's where i got a little concerned though, as im driving i wanted to see how the engine sounded when i push it hard. I went ahead and got on a straight away and punched the pedal, the truck at first reacted well but then i noticed that the RPMs were now increasing without the truck going any faster!! The TRANSMISSION!!! It was slipping for a few seconds and then it would grab. We headed back to our meeting spot and i went under the hood and checked out the tranny fluid again and while it did look nice and almost clear, it did smell a little burned. The owner said the tranny was just rebuilt a year ago also. So i dont know anymore. I like the truck and all but the tranny issue is a big concern. How much could i expect to pay to rebuild or get a new (used) one? Anyways, he said he'll go down to 7k but im thinking more like $6500. Is that a fair price?

Thanks

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I would pass on that one. In GA that would be a good price if it was in good shape but it sounds like that one has some issues. The transmission would probably cost you around $2k for a rebuild. The gauge cluster can be rebuilt but I don't know what that would cost. I would think $6000-6500 would be reasonable if the interior and exterior were in good shape with no stains or tears but again it sounds like that is not the case on that one. The good thing is Chevy made a crap load of these Tahoes so there are a ton out there and you can afford to be picky.

OP
OP
E

El Padroni

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The interior is in decent shape, it could just use a nice detail. The leather seats are in good shape also with no rips. It's just the transmssion that has me a little hesitant.
He's willing to drop his price now to $6800. But I think i might pass on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBRKPRO