Issue with Belltech Drop Struts--Hoping for an Easy Fix!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLByrd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright, so I'm fairly new to the Tahoe game, and obviously new to this forum. I'm in the middle of a front suspension rebuild (new Moog control arms with bushings and ball joints installed). I also installed a Belltech lowering kit, part number 753SP, which includes 2 inch spindles, 3 inch springs (but I installed them without spacers for a 4 inch drop), rear shocks and lowering struts. I read the instructions carefully and have quite a bit of automotive experience, so I don't think I was in over my head. But I've run into an issue now that this thing is completely together and back on the ground.

I wanted to drop the front a total of 3 inches. 2 inches with the spindles and 1 inch with the strut. According to the Belltech instructions, that means I was supposed to use one 10mm ring and 2 8mm rings to get one inch lower. I was heartbroken when I let the jack down and the truck looked like it was barely 2 inches lower than stock. The back is exactly where I want it, but the front is way high.

I did install the Belltech offset upper control arm bushings (aka alignment kit) that came with the 753SP kit. I read on here that some people need them and some people don't, so I figured it wouldn't hurt anything to install them…just for the record, they were a pain to install.

I really don't want to tear this thing back apart and disassemble the struts again to change the spacer configuration. So, here's the only reason for the issue that I can come up with...did I do the wrong thing by tightening the control arm bolts while the suspension was drooped? Would the new bushings be strong enough to hold the truck up? I have not driven the truck, but I didn't assume it would settle because I'm running the original springs. Do I need to drive it before I take it back apart? Or am I missing something else?

Bruizza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find any post by Norcal SS and text him. His number is in his signature. Dude is the belltech lowering guru around here.

OP
OP
T

TLByrd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry I just realized I posted this in the 2015+ section. I guess I was disoriented from a long weekend of wrenching.

I texted Tony this morning and he gave me some advice and some baseline measurements to go by, so I'm going to drive it today and see how much it comes down.

NeverSatisfied

eBay Baller
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would drive it a little to see if it settle. My old 04 tahoe had the torsion bars and had a 5" drop and anytime I would jack it up to change the oil it would sit real high when dropped back down until I drove it. That would be my suggestion before tearing back into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobbylehew83