K2xx horn wiring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their horn in a k2xx? Don't worry, not interested in obnoxious air horns lol. But I have a 4 note Cadillac horn sitting on my shelf that better fits my.... personality. ;)

Just wondering the best way to wire it into the horn circuit. I found the horns behind the washer fluid reservoir–it's really tight back there and I'm not exactly sure how to access it. But if I can just access the circuit for the steering wheel to the horn, I can run power directly to the new horn from the battery and then add a relay connected to the steering wheel horn circuit Any ideas?

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like this video might have what I'm looking for. It's an older model, but the theory is the same. I should be able to tap into a fuse or relay in the fuse box, right?

I'm gonna go look at fuse box and see what I can find.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just tap into the existing horn wire (check for positive) the ground can just go to the frame.
unless it is some kind of radical power horn there should be no need for upping the fuse rating or adding any relay.
I have had 4 horns connected before no issue's at all

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just tap into the existing horn wire (check for positive) the ground can just go to the frame.
unless it is some kind of radical power horn there should be no need for upping the fuse rating or adding any relay.
I have had 4 horns connected before no issue's at all

Do you know how I can find the horn wire?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know how I can find the horn wire?
they are the wires connected to the horn/s, one should be grounded and the other will be open circuit which will be the positive.
if you want to tap into them elsewhere you can look up the wiring diagram on the gm upfitter guide.
I just figure it's easy to tap into the horn wire at the bumper area since normally that is where a add-on, replacement or upgraded horn would be placed.
In the past I have added on Hella horns but next time I might order some stebel as they have a deeper tone and are louder but nobody has them here they have to be imported from europe.
I have tried some off-brand horns before in the past as well, they are basically junk and don't last. horns have to be able to withstand the elements.

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are the wires connected to the horn/s, one should be grounded and the other will be open circuit which will be the positive.
if you want to tap into them elsewhere you can look up the wiring diagram on the gm upfitter guide.
I just figure it's easy to tap into the horn wire at the bumper area since normally that is where a add-on, replacement or upgraded horn would be placed.
In the past I have added on Hella horns but next time I might order some stebel as they have a deeper tone and are louder but nobody has them here they have to be imported from europe.
I have tried some off-brand horns before in the past as well, they are basically junk and don't last. horns have to be able to withstand the elements.

Nice, thanks for the help. I can see the horns (barely), but I can't get to them and I can't see or get to the wiring. I took the bumper/grille off but that's it. Seems like I'd have to take a lot more apart to properly get at 'em. But I'll check out the wiring diagram on the GM upfitter guide.

Thanks again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RJStanford

Latest posts