Keep'n em goin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RJI2010

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am just curious the different ways we take care of our rides. How many miles do you have and how do you keep your ride goin?

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Maybe some OBS's anyone use em for some road trips. how do you keep them reliable?

OP
OP
R

RJI2010

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice. Im debating getting a 95 Suburban 1500 for a decent price just wondering whether or not it will be worth it. I will most likely keep it for the streets no lift, maybe a nice drop but I am currious if it will be a dependable road trip ride.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
188K on my tahoe, 112K on suburban. I do the basics like fluid changes and fixes as they come up.

OP
OP
R

RJI2010

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice. Thanks Bowtie, and thanks for postin the suburban as well :Handshake:

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
Regular maintenance will keep these things running forever, but they can get expensive when they break...but at least its a Chevy/GMC, so it's not too bad. Plus these things are relatively easy to work on compared to new cars...so a lot of us do our own work and just buy parts. A basic recommendation is to use AC Delco parts...some guys prefer other performance parts, but you can never go wrong with AC Delco.

Big recommendation - regular oil changes will do wonders for you!! When you buy your ride, see if they know the maintenance schedule and how recently it was tuned-up. If the tune-up is due, buy the parts and do the tuneup. Personally, I always change just about every fluid whenever I buy a used car - oil, coolant, power steering, brake, trans, diff.

If you venture into the world of trans and diff fluid, definitely do your research and DON'T FLUSH those systems, just remove and replace. For old coolant, FLUSH this out, especially if the truck is running DexCool Coolant (all '96+ have DexCool)

I don't have it in front of me, but there is a thread in the OBS forum that identifies all of the parts that need maintenance - tuneup, fluids, etc.

One part commonly overlooked - grease your front bearings!! It takes <5min, but you will need a grease gun and auto grease.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
R

RJI2010

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Sparg really informative! Ill search for that thread. :Handshake:

ncdrtyhoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is DD we also take it to the Outer Banks to drive on the beach one way trip is 200 miles and we do that about 8 times in the summer. She has 168,000 on the clock so she is still young and I love the darn thing. Stay away from FRAM oil filters! AC Delco everything when you can!

akgriffith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got a 99 Yukon with 149k. Bought it with tons of maintenence records so i knew it was taken care of. take care of them and they will go forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EngineGuy