Keys + Spacers + Bilsteins = Lift with good ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I bought 3" keys (or just cranked the factory keys) and got spacers for the rear and then replaced the front shocks with bilsteins, and then got an alignment, what would be the downsides to this? would my wheel bearings still wear out? would my ride suck? anyone done this to their ride?

middelgriff1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what im running, 5100s front and rear with a 1.5body lift. No problems at all, just dont crank your keys all the way and stress everything out.

OP
OP
owl_93

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what im running, 5100s front and rear with a 1.5body lift. No problems at all, just dont crank your keys all the way and stress everything out.
How's the ride quality?

OP
OP
owl_93

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm about to pull the trigger on all my parts right now on amazon, but first, I just wanted to make sure I'm getting the right shocks. I'm getting the

Bilstein (24-186643) 5100 Series Shock Absorber (for fronts)

&

Bilstein 24-187237 Rear Shock for GM Tahoe/Avalanche (rears, duh)

Are these the correct shocks for the lifting 2"?

Rangel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those are the part # i have for my shocks, but im at stock height. supposed to be good from stock -2" lift. are you changing springs too? does yours have the ZW7 suspension?

OP
OP
owl_93

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just realized that I can't do this because I have auto ride. Instead im using keys and shock extenders up front, and then putting z71 coils in the rear with 1.5" spacers

hoss08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just realized that I can't do this because I have auto ride. Instead im using keys and shock extenders up front, and then putting z71 coils in the rear with 1.5" spacers

If you plan on Z71 springs in the rear with spacers you'll have to ditch the autoride anyway. Id say stick to the original plan and go with the 5100s all the way around and pull that autoride out. You don't really need it anyway, its just a costly useless system that's probably broken or on its last leg now. Youll still need the Z71 springs back there when you pull the autoride out. From what I have read no one had any complaints about ride quality after the switch. Also you really shouldn't use shock extenders up front, just go with an extended length 5100. Last I checked autoride had nothing to do with your front suspension. So even if your dead set on keeping autoride you wont need shock extenders up front, just in the rear.

TxDrewski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have:
3" BL
3" keys cranked 2.5
1.5" rear spacers
5100s all around.
no complaints here!

TxDrewski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ebay Specials, bought the keys spacers and Bilstiens as a package deal for around 400ish.