Keys + Spacers + Bilsteins = Lift with good ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
owl_93

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I should get a set of bilstein 5100's all around, ditch the shock extenders up front, throw in extended bilsteins on all four, keep the z71 coils, crank the keys, and throw my 1.5" spacers in back? That would mean I have about $300 more to buy for shocks. I can't get away with keys and spacers and z71 coils with extenders? I will pitch the cash for the bilsteins, its just gonna be tight right now with rent and tuition. I'm not doing wheels and toyot MTs until later February so I could do the bilsteins, but if I can get by with keeping autoride shocks (which are dead) that would be ideal in terms of $.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

Ebay Specials, bought the keys spacers and Bilstiens as a package deal for around 400ish.
Do you know the model numbers on the front and rear bilsteins I'd need? I will snag them if I can but right now the biggest uncertainty is exactly which front and rears I'd need for the 1.5" I'd be adding.

TxDrewski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do or however you go about it, I would make sure that new shocks go on for sure. i have never been a fan of extenders, I feel that you should have the correct length shock for the correct amount of lift.

OP
OP
owl_93

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do or however you go about it, I would make sure that new shocks go on for sure. i have never been a fan of extenders, I feel that you should have the correct length shock for the correct amount of lift.
I'll get the bilsteins then. Autoride has been nothing but trouble so far. I feel like regular shocks would be the best, especially bilsteins. I take my Hoe off road more than most, so I want to be able to be confident on the dirt and in the mud

TxDrewski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll get the bilsteins then. Autoride has been nothing but trouble so far. I feel like regular shocks would be the best, especially bilsteins. I take my Hoe off road more than most, so I want to be able to be confident on the dirt and in the mud

Good call especially if you spend time offroad. As far as part numbers, Id go to Summit Rcing and get the numbers from there, or maybe Rock Auto. i just checked my Ebay and the part #'s I have are no good for your AutoRide Application. I can PM you the guys info on Ebay if youd like. Its 420 bucks, no shipping cost for keys, spacers and 4 Bilsteins in the Manufacture boxes.

OP
OP
owl_93

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call especially if you spend time offroad. As far as part numbers, Id go to Summit Rcing and get the numbers from there, or maybe Rock Auto. i just checked my Ebay and the part #'s I have are no good for your AutoRide Application. I can PM you the guys info on Ebay if youd like. Its 420 bucks, no shipping cost for keys, spacers and 4 Bilsteins in the Manufacture boxes.
In have keys and spacers and z71 coils in my apartment already, i just am confused about the exact bilsteins I need. I'll return the extenders right away though. Do I need to pull a relay to disable the autoride system all the way? I'd like to ditch the weight of the compressor to free up some weight for rock sliders if I can. Slimming down the Hoe is the way to go.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The part numbers will not be good for autoride applications due to the fact that it would remove the autoride shocks and then autoride would no longer function. If this is the OP's intention (which it is) then that's what they want.

hoss08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rears are # 24-185783
The fronts are # 24-186643

Those are the extended length 5100s youd need if you get rid of the autoride. I bought mine on Amazon for about $75 a shock with free shipping. I think I might have bought the last 2 of 3 rear shocks they had in stock, they have plenty of fronts though.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I am glad that you decided to go this route. I suspect you will be surprised how much the ride improves with bilsteins vs old blown air shocks.

I'll bet its going to feel real tight as first with the heavier springs, crank, and brand new high pressure shocks. Give it a couple of days to break in the shocks, and for you to become accustomed to the ride. :)

Last edited:

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of angles are you seeing with 3" keys?