Leaking fuel after fill up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diezelraccoon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wanted to try posting this again in a different forum because I really didn’t get much feedback.

I pulled into the gas station yesterday and filled up my 03 Tahoe. I squeezed in another buck or so after it stopped and then I heard and saw a bunch of gas leaking out from under the vehicle down from the left frame about midway under vehicle. Took at least 10 minutes for it to stop. It’s clearly coming from somewhere above the tank. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No reason that a solid fuel tank and pump would leak other than a fault; the tank goes under light pressure and vacuum regularly so most times the system is sealed. You likely have a cracked fill tube or other component that could cause a fire. Get it inspected and repaired, by a shop if you don't feel capable.

And, like others have said, don't overfill it in the first place. Repair the cause and move ahead.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I squeezed in another buck or so
Stop it. Gasoline / petrol expands quite a bit as it warms up,
and the EVAP system is meant to absorb gasoline VAPORS.
When you squeeze in over a dime, you force the EVAP system to absorb liquid gasoline.

Eventually the charcoal in your charcoal canister will escape the canister, and
you will find carbon chunks in your vapor lines, maybe even your tank.

Last edited:

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crawl under your rear driver side quarter panel behind the tire and below the fill spout. There's two rubber hoses running back to the top of the tank... One is a fill and I think the other is a vent?

Check to make sure the fill doesn't have any cracks. Otherwise, I'm with @Fless maybe a leak somewhere. I've been fiddling around with my tank, evap, and fuel system for months now for better or worse, I'm quite familiar with it. Feel free to ask anything about how to take it apart as I'm sure others here would know as well.

Reaction score
I did it all on the 01 1500 - Fuel pump - 3 times in 270K, the filler behind the gas door, all the way to the tank, the steel lines, the plastic lines, the evap thing above the rear diff. I never had it leak for as long as he said. That's like driving a grenade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeneralSloan