LED tails installation -- Any tips/tricks I should know first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

My LED tails came in. Looking to get them on the Tahoe asap.

Anything I should know first?

I have read that you need to tape up/use cardboard along the bumper where the bottom of the lights meet the truck, as you can otherwise scrape the paint removing them. So, I'll do that.

I think I've also read that the factory lights can be really tough to pull out. Is this true? Any tips for releasing them more easily?

I got the G3 lights that come with resistors, etc. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks!

/< / /2 /<

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I say you get close too the light and use finger force to pull. Don't use a whole bunch of arm force or you could srape/break something.
Also you have to reuse the old clpis on the outside edges and the stock screws so don;t lost them.
THen when your done slowly close the loftgate and makesure they fit snug and right and that the gate doesn't contact the lights in any way, then your good!!
I mask taped the outside edges of my LED tails to avoid any condensation due to incomplete sealing or seal deterioration.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Now, about the masking... My lights came with a roll of black silicone crap. I don't think the directions mention anything about using it. (Heck, there was an empty bag of chocolate chip cookies in the box, too, so who know what else "extra" I got!) Think this is for sealing the light edges? I can't imagine. Maybe for sealing something at the wiring? Any thoughts?

Anything else? Thanks!

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I have no clue wha that could be for, but it is a possibilty it was put in there to to sill the edges if needed.
I say you just install them, and if you see any condensation at all, then you can go back and masking tape it up in the possible error area.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Once there's condensation inside, can you get it out?

mlwald79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no clue wha that could be for, but it is a possibilty it was put in there to to sill the edges if needed.
I say you just install them, and if you see any condensation at all, then you can go back and masking tape it up in the possible error area.

which tails and third brake light do you have? they look great on your truck.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dammit!

I went to install these tonight, and whereas they look great lit up, they FAST BLINK. Damn. The right one, I noticed, doesn't even have a resistor, and the left one, despite having a resistor, still blinks fast.

I get two normal blinks, then it goes right to fast blinking.

Do these resistors "go bad?" Can I get new ones somewhere? Does this sound like a problem in the lights, themselves (or, just a resistor problem)?

Help! Thanks!

(Contacting seller in the meantime....)

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
My tails and 3rd brake lights are IPCW.
Kmelony that means your resistors aren't doing the right thing. I don't know what to do to solve it but get new and more resistors wired in, I also heard you can lower the fuse amperage and it could stop it.
Yeah when condensation comes heat will get it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapdapdap