Less than top notch tires for a good deal in 265/65R18

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCODOHERTY

Reaction score
Anyone use less than top notch tires? I've got Michelins on three vehicles but keep looking around for a fresh set of 265/65R18s for driving between coastal Ct and coastal South Carolina. The Sumitomo Encounter HT 1st version can be found for sub $550 a set. As far as I know Sumitomo America market is producing tires in a plant in upstate New York. Also, the Michelin LTX Primacy can be found for under $650 a set. I don't mind them. They're just entry level Michelin and not designed to be super 70k long wearing touring tires. But they're quiet and comfortable and great on gas. And by the time they're at the wear marks the side walls are cracking to shreds anyway from being in the sun too much. There's a Yokohama spec tire made for the recent retro Land Cruisers around in the 265 65 18 size as well. It's like an AT for the highway, might be labeled GO31 A or B and can be found right around $600 a set.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone use less than top notch tires? I've got Michelins on three vehicles but keep looking around for a fresh set of 265/65R18s for driving between coastal Ct and coastal South Carolina. The Sumitomo Encounter HT 1st version can be found for sub $550 a set. As far as I know Sumitomo America market is producing tires in a plant in upstate New York. Also, the Michelin LTX Primacy can be found for under $650 a set. I don't mind them. They're just entry level Michelin and not designed to be super 70k long wearing touring tires. But they're quiet and comfortable and great on gas. And by the time they're at the wear marks the side walls are cracking to shreds anyway from being in the sun too much. There's a Yokohama spec tire made for the recent retro Land Cruisers around in the 265 65 18 size as well. It's like an AT for the highway, might be labeled GO31 A or B and can be found right around $600 a set.
Ive always had good luck with Yokohamas on my 4x4 pickups and 4x4/AWD SUV's. Ride great on the highway, wear is great, perform acceptable off road and winter weather (I live in the midwest) and they dont cost a fortune. Seriously you just cant go wrong with them. I get them at Walmart.

Bocephous

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've used Sumitomo tires on my wife's vehicles with no issues. I research tires on Tire Rack when I need tires and read what other owners have to say about them. General are also good. I used them on my old Tundra I used to own; they lasted longer than any other offroad tire I tried.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MusicMan123