Lift or no lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Will Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry for the noob question but been doing my research on lifting. Just picked up a 99 2dr 4x4. I haven't really gotten into the truck yet but my initial wishes were to put a 3-4" lift and some bigger tires. This will be a daily driver. Not sure if I should do a body lift, a 3" lift kit, or just leave stock. I just want to get opinions from you guys as you all have more experience than I. I'm not looking to spend Fortune, but do want to set the truck up right. :Good or Bad:

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Body lift questions will get mixed answers, some think they look horrible and could have potential safety problems, some like seeing the entire frame hanging below the body.

Jerky Arm Ape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yates, I'm sure that if people had the money to build trucks like yours they would, even the folks that are pro body lift.

Body lifts are a nice and easy / affordable way to lift a daily driver.
They are not good for trail usage as your tire size will be the only lift your frame and drive train aquire.
Not to mention the fuel tank.

Although they are far better than cranking your T-bars to the max and shoving 3" lift blocks under your leaf springs.

I like body lifts but I'm a Modest person, never have cared about having a big nasty vehicle to show off in.

Plus I don't see an entire frame hanging out from under my body.

Last edited:

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a joke, but in reality I do not like body lifts. To me the cheap lift does not out weigh the looks. It is a preference thing more than anything. Way back in like high school I installed one for a friend and it was such a PITA I vowed to never do another one.

OP
OP
W

Will Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking to black the entire truck out not go crazy but tasteful. Im not an off road guy but will hit a trail here and there. The main use of the truck will be a daily driver. I do want to put a nice black wheel with and aggressive tread tire. Not sure what I can get away with size wise with stock height. I don't want to be trimming fenders or wheel wells

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Even at a 3in I had to trim to do 33s so just keep in mind it probably might need to be trimmed. I've got a body lift and it's been just fine. Was pretty easy to install aswell. Only thing is no rear bumper kit with a. Key lift for 2drs. I'm gonna go higher since I have small rubbing if I'm offroading and turning

Stiffler63

Reaction score
I have newer factory rims and 285/75r16 that are 33in tall. No lift and they fit havent rubbed yet. Just got them installed tho but were I live is flat ground so not much flexing needed.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Body lift is the lowest cost and has pros and cons. Suspension lifts start around a grand.

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
i just went trought this exact question myself. ultimately after alot of research and input from guys like BowtieFreak i went with a 6" rcx lift. i thought i only wanted 4" but now that its on I LOVE IT!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
humbertoltx