Looking for wisdom

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TREYR8D

Reaction score
So I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I had plans for the tahoe for 20" XD monsters with some nitto TGs. we had built up some funding and were ready to pull the trigger and i noticed the brake rotors were bad. so i dropped the $600 for fixing all that. Now, 10 days before a road trip, when i was installing the brakes, i noticed some really bad wear on the inside of the front tires. obviously alignment is out. made an appointment for that. The tires are bad enough on the inside edge (both sides) that i'm concerned about them for our 1100 mile round-trip to Nebraska coming up. So here is my dilemma:

I thought i'd just bite the bullet and do everything lacking $600 in funds. turns out the stores in Denver all seem to have a 30 day wait to get the wheels i want in. But have the tires in stock.

So then i thought, well i'll get the wheels from online and have the tire place install the tires and i'll be ready to go. Problem is, i dont know if there is enough time for shipping without spending and arm and a leg.

So then i thought, I could drop down to 18" wheels, get the tires i want now in 18", put them on the stock Z71 wheels, and get new wheels after the trip sometime when funds build back up. Also gaining peace of mind for the trip, and my wife as a daily driver.

Leaving for trip on Aug 25 evening

So options posed:
1) order wheels off the internet tonight/tomorrow hoping shipping gets them here in time to be installed (shipping specifies 3-7 business days) and get the 20s we wanted

2) Run on tires as is to nebraska with fixed alignment and get new setup later. get 20s we want later.

3) Just get the 18" tires and put on stock wheels until new 18s can be purchased. settle for 18s (which still may give look i want)

thoughts: truck is Z71 with leveling kit. I like the off-road look. Tires are considerably cheaper ~$60/tire at 18" vs 20". truck will see some off road (maybe 18s are better?). Braking and performance remains unaltered with 18s (same as stock).

All wisdom is appreciated. Thanks!!

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you need the tires for the Nebraska trip? If not, wait until you get back from the trip. 1,100 miles are a lot to put on new tires especially if those are mostly highway and the offroad performance is not needed. In the end get the tires you want, do not settle or you will probably regret it. As for offroad, IMO 18s are better than 20s.

Also, if the old tires will just be tossed and the handling is not an issue, realign after the new tires are installed.

Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
T

TREYR8D

Reaction score
Good news!

After doing a bit of leg work, i have some 20s mounted with tires balanced will be here by monday.

I came across the website westKYcustoms.com and i sent them an e-mail with the combo i wanted and they set me up with a good price for rims/tires mounted, balanced, TPMS sensors, lugs, and caps ready for bolt on. they have a flat rate shipping and guaranteed delivery by monday at 5PM. Plenty of time for my road trip and i get what i wanted.

+1 for westKYcustoms.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc3000