Looking to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a newer Tahoe to replace my 98. I am a mechanic so repairs are not a problem but is there certain things I should look out for. I mean other than the usual things to look for. (Fluid colors and leaks and how the tranny shifts)

I found one that looks really clean on the outside but I am going to look closer at it tomorrow. It is an 04 2WD pretty much maxed out LT but the only problem is it has 150K miles. Original owner with supposedly all maintenance records and he is only asking $8800. It has been for sale for a few months now so I am going to offer less but even at $8800 it is still about 2K under the kbb value even with the mileage.

Thanks

Last edited:

fatnlowtahoe504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its clean and in good shape, you should go for it, that is nothing to these trucks, only things to look out for would be the tranny and gauge cluster messes up and they had a recall if it hadnt already been fixed you should get it switched, also the intermediate steering shaft gives some people trouble too sometimes?
what part of nola you from? and where are you a mechanic at?

OP
OP
fire730

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a little side business with a friend of mine.

He said he replaced the cluster already and I am familiar with the intermediate shaft (I've replaced about 5 in the last 2 months)

And with the tranny I hope it is fine now but if it goes out later it is no big deal cause the guy I work with was the trans tech at Sewell for about 12 years so he knows the 4l60E in and out. I had to rebuild the one in my 98 already.

BTW your Tahoe is badass. I may have to copy it in Green! The SS bumper is the $hit on this body style!

I live in Kenner but I just put NOLA because it is more familiar to out of towners.

fatnlowtahoe504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ook cool, we were good friends with the gm over at sewell before they closed, might have to get him to rebuild mine when it craps out, but thanks for the compliments if you have any questions when you go to do it let me know...

theautoman21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hey ive been looking online and there are quite a few tahoes for sale for cheap nice too i dont know what area you are but like theres one in sacramento 2001 for 3,000 i been looking to but i have a 99 trying to sell just letting you know before you buy

Thanks[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
fire730

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Louisiana so I am a little far from you. :)

The sad part is that my 98 is pretty mechanically sound ( I have put so much money into it) but body wise is needs work. I can tackle the body work myself but I just don't have enough time to fool with it and I don't want to ride around with primer spots for months. I have 2 jobs, 2 kids and a wife so the "body repair" time would be waaay to limited.

And I am too much of a do it yourselfer to pay someone else to do the body work.

So I am going to check out this 04 tomorrow and I will see how it is.

jdpromo33

Proud Tahoe Owner
Reaction score
I am looking for a newer Tahoe to replace my 98. I am a mechanic so repairs are not a problem but is there certain things I should look out for. I mean other than the usual things to look for. (Fluid colors and leaks and how the tranny shifts)

I found one that looks really clean on the outside but I am going to look closer at it tomorrow. It is an 04 2WD pretty much maxed out LT but the only problem is it has 150K miles. Original owner with supposedly all maintenance records and he is only asking $8800. It has been for sale for a few months now so I am going to offer less but even at $8800 it is still about 2K under the kbb value even with the mileage.

Thanks

Welcome to the site Kevin.
Tahoes with 150K are no big deal as long as they have been looked after.
The tranny would be main concern but as you already know what to look for, then go for it.
Cant wait to see what you get.

Cheers

JD

OP
OP
fire730

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I can get someone to watch the "little monsters" for a while I am going to go check it out today. Here is a pic of my 98 that I am going to hopefully replace with a NBS.

DSC05121.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
humbertoltx