Low beam head light problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

budmaniac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
:emotions122:
I have a 2001 Yukon that has started to have a weird problem. It is so intermittent, and is hard to diagnose.
I have installed a relay kit supplied by painless performance to have all 4 lites come on when selected to high beam. The relay kit worked great for a long time. Now what is happening is that the low beams will work intermittently. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. When the low beam switch is selected and the low's don't come on, I have to switch to the high beams, in order to have any lights on at all. All 4 lites come on, as they should. As soon as I select the low beams, I get nothing at all. I have changed the relay, and that didn't solve the problem of no low beams when selected to low. So I am asking what could the problem be? Could it be the hi/low selector switch, or the auto on light controller? Anybody have any problems like this? Any comments?

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
couple questions. Do you have HID's? Have you tried disconnecting the relay kit alltogether? That would be my first suggestion to disconnect the 4hi mod, and see if your low beams work then. If so, you will know it has something to do with the 4hi kit. If not, can go from there. Possibly low beam relay(not relay that came with kit). Bad ground, probably not since they come on with highs, and usually on same ground. I would try disconnecting 4hi mod first and see what happens. keep us posted

OP
OP
B

budmaniac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No HID's installed yet. That is one of the upgrades later on down the road. I will hopefully have a look at disconnecting the relay kit, as you have suggested and see what happens from there. Thanks for the reply. I will chime in with results later on.

WoldD90

Off Road Addict
Reaction score
Start by checking all the connections on the relay kit, then check and swap the relay itself. If that does not fix it, disconnect the kit and run it for a while with out it.

OP
OP
B

budmaniac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well guys. I got around to pulling the relay out of the 4 liteon mod. The low beams work as they should now, for how long we will find out with more use. I will run with this for a while to see if there is any change and report back. Thx for the suggestions. I will check all the wiring connections when it warms up here.

OP
OP
B

budmaniac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, I went to use the low beam headlites last nite. No lites on low, wtf. The high's work fine. As stated earlier, I have removed the relay from the 4 lite mod. So I guess I will have to dig deeper. Possibly a dimmer switch problem. Any other suggestions? Would it have something to do with the DRL's, or the auto lite on sensors? I have covered up the 2 sensors on top of the dash, and that didn't change anything either.

:emotions122:

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so swap tha high beam relay and the low beam relay.

OP
OP
B

budmaniac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I checked the fuse panels, and could not find relays, for either high or low. There is 3 relays labeled hdlp, rt hdlp, and lt hdlp which means left or right headlamps. Not sure what left or right has to do with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddha76