MAF sensor brand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sensor 1 (upstream of the cats) readings on each bank are the important ones, since they control the fuel trims. They should switch from about 100mV to 900mV all the time as the fuel is managed, and all that is normal.

The Sensor 2 readings are downstream of the catalytic converters and really only tell how the cats are doing.

OP
OP
C

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. So today i took care of a few things. After a 20 minute highway drive, i parked and let truck idle. While idling, i went under the truck with my inferred thermometer and took temps right before and after both cats.

Before cat bank 1 and 2 were at 430-435.

After cat bank 1 and 2 were at the same.

Does this mean my cats are bad?

I also went ahead and hit the engine with a spray bottle and some soapy water. There was a small vacuum leak right after maf sensor and in tntake pipe. Clamp wasnt tight enough. Also noticed some little bubbles under the intake on the passenger side coming from the valley plate. Sprayed the engine oil dipstube tube aswell by where in inserts the block and little bubbles there aswell.

So took car of reading temp on cats and fixed vacuum leak by maf sensor and intake tube.

Tomorrow i will tackle the oil tube. I already reset the fuel trims with my autel scanner. Will give it a few drive cycles and see how it drives.

So are my cats shot?

OP
OP
C

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doubeleive, When you checked your cats, what were some of the symptoms you were having? Also did you use the infrared thermometer and what were your temps before and after cats? I am seeing tons of youtube videos and also reading online in where if before the cats the temp is higher then after cats, that the cats are bad and not doing there job.

I will run the car some after fixing some of these issues and recheck the temp

OP
OP
C

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

So I was playing with my autel scanner last night. I did all kinds of active test. I noticed that while performing a pressure test on the evap side, pressure was not holding. I ran the test several times and pressure was not building. So I hooked up my smoke machine to the evap line at the front of engine and ran the smoke. With my scanner I sealed up the evap vent solenoid and with in a few secounds I start hearing a hissing sound. Pretty loud hissing sound coming from above the fuel tank. I then looked at my I/M readiness and evaporative system monitoring is incomplete and oxygen sensor monitoring and oxygen sensor heater monitoring is incomplete as well.

This might also be part of my problem is not my main problem. Guess I have some work to do.

OP
OP
C

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update

After playing around with my smoke machine some more and doing more active testing, i also realized that the canister vent solenoid was working intermittent. With my autel i was able to close and open and notice that it would stay close several times. After wacking it with a tool it would then open.

As per the hissing sound coming from the top of the tank. I had replaced the fuel pump about a month ago. Seems like the o-ring from the evap hose that connects to the pump was bad. See in the pic attached the oil from the smoke machine right under the connector.

Replaced the vent solenoid and replaced the o-ring. Ran the smoke test and all is good leak wise. Will run the truck tomorrow and see how it runs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230218_182832_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230218_182832_Gallery.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 7

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe it's just the way I'm seeing it, but to me it looks like the ring isn't fully seated. The tank "hooks" don't look like they go past the slots in the ring.

OP
OP
C

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Few more pics

What you think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230219_134640_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230219_134640_Gallery.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 5